What do we know about Marshals?

From what I know of Marshals, I love them. аBut I don't really know that much about them. аThey have their elements, which grant them powers. аIt is a religious thing. аBut how do those religions function? Do non-marshals revere the elements? And what role do Marshals play in society? аDo some of them act as priests? What authority do they have to enforce their religious ideals? The concept is so intriguing to me because they are obviously different the classic cleric/priest/religious healer type so many other games have. аI want to know how they fit into the world

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
Function: it depends, some could be like modern day religions, some could be like a druid circle, others could be a "do what you wish" mentality. It's honestly up to the group of worshipers.

а

Reverence/Priests: they can yes. Often Marshals could be the leader of a religious sect and have non-Marshals following them in worship.

а

Role: Marshals keep the world in balance. They often hunt down the foes of their element and smite them.

а

Authority: They have their own strength and their possible followers. Every Marshal has a symbol emblazoned on their skin that they cannot cover. It's always visible. This denotes which element you follow and/or belong to. Just because you're the Marshal of an element doesn't necessarily mean you believe in it. You are simply the champion, if you will, chosen by said element.

а

That all being said, simply because you are the same element doesn't mean you get along with a group of the same element. Kinda like religion today.

Konrad

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
I'd like to build off of Tex's fairly brisk answers.

I personally find they closest resemble paladins, or Mortal Swords if you've read Malazan, Book of the Fallen. They are champions, representatives, and-- more often than not-- priests, all rolled into one. When one finds a temple or sanctuary, it is likely led by a Marshal. When citizens of a particular faith have questions, they will seek a Marshal for the best answer. When there is an argument among a congregation, a Marshal's word is final.

Like Tex said, similar to today individual temples or sects within each element's faith are prone to disagreement on how to worship, or the specific rules and tenets. It's a very messy affair, but Marshals bring some order to the general chaos. Marshals have been chosen and proven themselves exemplary individuals in the eyes of theirаelement; they are the arm and mouth of their faith. If there is a form of worship that is wrong, they will right it. If there are ideas that run contrary to their faith, they will crush it.

But there are still many paths for a Marshal in life. Some wander, meting out justice as they see fit. Some have set deepаroots and raised a temple. Many put their powers to work fending off the roving beasts and undead of Feneryss to keep budding civilization safe. Others have devoted themselves to the effort of weeding out fanaticism and extremists who would see the balance of the world upset (i.e. Followers of Tae'k).

Marshals of different faiths may be friends, allies, enemies, or rivals. Some are polite, others hostile. In the end they are still people, prone to folly and flaws.

ANG

Tex said
Authority: They have their own strength and their possible followers. Every Marshal has a symbol emblazoned on their skin that they cannot cover. It's always visible. This denotes which element you follow and/or belong to. Just because you're the Marshal of an element doesn't necessarily mean you believe in it. You are simply the champion, if you will, chosen by said element.
Personally, I think while it was short and sweet, this provides an interesting take on this design and could create some great RP elements for those who were chosen by the element even if they did not wish to be chosen.а

Am I reading that element correctly? Is this something that could happen?

I only ask because I like expanding RP elements in games, including during combat at times. A game is only as good as the shared story one provides.

NKdotzip

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
Definitely not outside the realm of possibility. I would love to see how a campaign like that played out.а

Konrad

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
ANG said
Tex said
Am I reading that element correctly?а
You are hitting the nail square on the head. Marshals are chosen by powers many of them will never fully comprehend, let alone master control of. Some find a purpose in it, some make a purpose in it, and some struggle against it until their final days.

I'd love to run an all-Marshal campaign some day, because there are so many interesting things. Society,аpolitics-- evenаsupernatural forces tugаatаthem all at once, and it's a lot for a single person to juggle. And the dynamic only becomes more fascinating when you put a bunch of them together.

Top Bottom