• Forums Closed Indefinitely


    Hey! We wanted to thank you all for your contribution to these forums. However, at this time with the lack of activity and the constant influx of bots, we find it unncessary to continue to operate these forums.

    Please join us on our Discord Server!

The 1337th New Texas Abyssal Fists

NKdotzip

The Occasional Wizard
Staff member
INDE Staff
Ralley took a deep breath and scanned the map once more before offering her salute to the captain and Cynthia, "I'll go get our ride ready to go."

She quickly left the briefing room, hoping that her superiors understood the quickness in her steps as purpose rather than urgency. This was a suicide run, plain and simple. It was nothing new. This was the Imperial Guard, after all. If it wasn't a suicide mission, then we— humanity— had already lost.

Ralley moved quickly through the camp until she found a quiet place to take a moment for herself. Almost without warning, she doubled over, hands on her knees, and emptied her stomach all over the debris-strewn ground. It tasted of bile and poor choices. She wiped her mouth and leaned back against a nearby wall. She remembered the teachings of the Imperium, campaign after campaign, victory after victory. So many had been one chain of suicide missions after the other. This one was no different. And it wasn't as if she hadn't been on her share of them either, but the threat of a bleak and terrible death, surrounded on all sides by monsters and worse, never lost its edge.

Ralley looked at the words tattooed on her forearms and recalled the ceremony of commission. Then another litany came to mind, and she recited it aloud, quietly enough that only she could hear it. It was, after all, only for her.

"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work." she said, looking at her tattoos and recalling the stories behind each one, "Time is carried upon a current incepted by forgotten deeds. Events of great moment are, but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought. As all men must thank progenitors obscured by the past, so we must endure the present that those who come after may continue the greater work."

Having found a new sense of fervor, Ralley got to her feet and made her way to the Chimera— to Tyra. Chambers was there, tinkering with some homework that Ralley had left for her.

"Pack it up," she said, putting on an air of confidence until she could find the real thing, "We've got a new mission we probably won't live through. Get your gear secured, then we'll button the rest of it up before the squad gets here."

**Small edits for grammar, punctuation, and clarity.
 
Last edited:

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
With Ralley's quick exit, Tib began staring at Wilhelm intensely to decide if he had any more questions so he could quickly follow Cynthia to the armory in hopes they could get that bolter. He wanted all the extra time he could get to check over his weapons and ensure they were ready for this possibly suicide mission to retake a fuel refinery.
 

lostabyss

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
What has gotten into these guys? They are all just leaving a briefing from a CO without being dismissed? Did the Orks rattle them that much? At least Cynthia saluted before leaving...and what in the hell is Tibs doing? Making me twitchy thats what.

Wilhelm waits patiently for the CO to finish his briefing, as Tibs eyes sear a hole into the back of his head like an unauthorized overcharged lazpistol.
 

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
With Wilhelm's lack of reply, Tib rolled internally rolled his eyes. With a sharp intake of breath he nabbed the requisition letter from Cynthia and, saluted the Captain and the Lt. He power walked out the door before anyone had a chance to stop him and took a deep breath. That probably wans't the smartest thing to do but with the Captain's demeanor change and with Ralley already setting precedent for simply walking out of meetings with officers, he figured he could follow suit. He decided that it was ok because at least he saluted like she did. As he jogged over to the armory, butterflies started warping into this stomach over the thought of a new toy. Sure, he had the most badass laser known to the Guard, but what he was lacking was something that, ironically, went "dakka dakka" really fast. And sure, a Heavy Bolter wasn't quite as convinient to simply "plug in" to get more ammo, at least he could use it if something fried the electronics. Plus, diversity is key to success! At least that's what his father told him about planting crops. That and rotating. But he figured using guns to kill orks had at least some similarities? Right? Right. He paused at the door, the two guards looking at him with a bored gaze. Tib looked over the list again, eyes pausing on the Heavy Bolter. It would be a beautiful piece of equipment if he could get it. He flashed the requisitions list to the guards as they waved him through.

With grim determination, Tiberius presented the list to the clerk at the desk with a curt but friendly "mission gear request for my squad as per Captain Thruel's orders." He held back the glee and apprehension he nearly felt in his Emperor-given soul as he presented the note. He hoped and prayed for the best. (Enlisted 10 + 10 (GM Bonus) + 10 (Scavenger) = 30 vs 24)
 

Konrad

Wordsmith
Staff member
INDE Staff
Shattered GM
There was a small flicker of irritation in the Captain's expression as one, and then another member of Squad 16 retreated from the briefing with a curt salute. Lieutenant Rancher made to apologize, but Thruel interrupted him. "It's quite alright. I've met Walker, seen how he runs things. Appreciates efficiency, not a big fan of formality. You're dismissed." He cut a quick salute to the Lieutenant, then watched them all go before leaning over the map again, as if trying to see the future. If any had looked back and seen the weary look on his face, it would not have instilled much confidence in that future.

Outside, Rancher turned to his soldiers. "Y'all need t mind yer table manners," he scolded. Before anyone could retort, he pressed on. "Get yer gear n get movin. Y'all can do this, Emperor's Blessin. An tell Ralley if I can still read the reg'men nummers when y'all come back, shes in trouble. I expect y'all t paint it Ork Insides Green." He grinned, clapped Cyntha on the shoulder, and walked off without a salute.

At the Quartermaster's office, a man almost too short to clear the desk with his chin and a flat top cut that looked like it could support a whole cogitator without dimpling. He took the request with a scowl, read it over, and nodded. "Ye, s'wot e says. Stan by." The chair swiveled and he threw himself out of it and landed on legs too short to reach the floor sitting. He spoke up to an older, bald man who had the familiar mocha tan of the natives. The bald man took the requisition, popped a stamp off his left sleeve, approved it with a hearty domp then handed it back to the clerk. A few minutes later the too short clerk and two other men hauled up the mission gear and stacked it in the foyer for Tiberius. Everything was present and accounted for, from the heavy bolter to the wet weather gear.

Chambers was startled by Ralley's arrival. "Y-yes!" She almost saluted, then caught herself and went about collecting her tools and her Codex Mechanicus Chimerus. Lastly, she pulled a small vial on a necklace out of her uniform, unscrewed the top and gathered the fingertips of her left hand around the mouth. She upended it briefly then flicked the holy water onto the blocky 1337 marker on the port side fender. Chambers smiled with satisfaction at it as she tucked away the small vial. "Little gift from ma before we left. Seemed appropriate." Then the private looked to the driver. "We have to come back, y'know? She's still not painted yet." It came with a free, reassuring smile.
 

NKdotzip

The Occasional Wizard
Staff member
INDE Staff
"Damn right," Ralley said with a wolfish grin, resting one hand on her hip. "Now follow me," she continued, "You're first chair, which means if something happens to me at the helm, you need to be able to take over until one of the officers can assess the situation."

Ralley leads chambers into the main cavity of the tank, pointing out a couple of internal features that she ought know about. When they got to the driver's seat, she made a gesture at the younger woman, indicating that she should take a seat.

"Welcome to the crash course," Ralley explained, pointing around at the various instrument panels, "Ignition switch, wheel, pedals, and hatch release buttons. If we ever get a moment, I'll show you how to actually drive this thing, but for now, all you need to know is that you is that if you turn one way, hit the opposite pedal. The more you put into the pedal, the faster you turn."

"Now, one last thing," Ralley amended, "If something happens outside, if one of the tracks is damaged, I'm going to get out of this chair and take a walk. Your job is to get in it as soon as I leave. I'll feed you instructions over the vox as I make repairs. Stay calm and do as I say, and most importantly, if I tell you to leave, you fucking leave." Ralley stared into the middle distance for a second before continuing, "I'll teach you field repair a bit later, but for now, your lovely ass stays inside. Got it?"

Without waiting for an answer from Chambers, Ralley chucked her lightly on the shoulder then stepped out to start making preparations.
 

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
With the audible pop of the stamp, TIberius did a small fist pump with a barely audible "yes!" before regaining his composure. He thanked the Quartermaster as he slung the Heavy Bolter over his shoulder and suddenly realized he had no real way of carrying all this other not-quite-as-important stuff.

He pondered his current predicament before stuffing the ammo through the right side of his belt and, following absolutely zero regulations, the demolition charges through the right. He then waited for Cynthia to appear as he assumed she would so he could ask for some squadmate's help and hand her the longrange vox.
 

Lithairian

Idea Man
Staff member
INDE Staff
gives a salute and heads out after everyone else, taking one last look at the map before heading out. She first checks at the quarter master seeing as Tibbs 'volunteered' to get the equipment. Seeing all was in order she grabbed her gear and looked at Tibbs taking the long vox from him. She looked him over once again, pockets stuffed with what she could only assume was ammo and..."Is that a demo... Ya know what? nevermind." Ignoring the clear violation of regulations, she decides to continue, "Since ya... 'volunteered' to get the gear, only right that ya volunteer t' see everyone gets their gear however ya can." She looks over all the gear and back to the stuffed and weaponized Tibbs. "Several trips might be in order."
 

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
"Yes sarge...", Tib sighed. At least one item had been removed from his oversight and thankfully the one he wasn't sure how he was going to carry. What he wasn't going to do was be a little bitch and make more than 1 trip. That was for wusses. Now he just needed to figure out how to carry all of this stuff at once.

After several minutes of pondering where he could have made an entire trip during the duration, he decided stacking the rations and then the clothing, and finally lifting the entire bunch was the "smartest" and fastest way to carry it all. using his decent strength, he began slowly and blindly due to the stack of stuff in front of his face, towards the Chimera. I mean, everyone was going to end up there anyways, so might as well pass out this stuff at the vehicle rather than the barracks. He'd make a quick jog over there to pack up his kit and grab his las cannon.
 

lostabyss

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
Wilhelm stood up and saluted. Turning, he watched Tibs scoop up the gear like he was some starving peasant scooping up the last morsel of food he would ever see.

"Don't know much about them charges there but should you be stuffing them in your pockets like dinner rolls from a fancy dinner?"

He started walking out behind Tibs, triple checking his own gear, yep everythings in order. Prayers are done, gears set. Should do another prayer for the trip once we are all in the chimera. That little rolling thunder should keep us safe on the way there.

"So what names were you thinking for that heavy bolter anyway?"
 

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
Tib laughed at Wilhelm's dinner roll comment. "Hey man," he chuckled, "Sarge said it was up to me so I just started trying to haul it the best I can. I figure if the detonators go off I won't feel a thing so it wouldn't matter. I dunno about a name," he pondered, "I haven't named my first one. I'm all ears if you have any suggestions."

As they approached the Chimera, he could hear the sputtering and puttering of Ralley as she scampered around the Chimera like a squirrel with a nut. "Hey Sarge, I'd salute you but my arms are full. Is everyone here? Come get your crap. I gotta go get my kit and get back here before you leave my ass!"
 
Last edited:

Lithairian

Idea Man
Staff member
INDE Staff
Having made her way to the chimera after finalizing her loadout from her rack, she had begun looking over the chimera and heard Tibs as he approached. she smirked, "We still in basic? hasn't been a need to salute a sargent in a while." She laughs and nods,"Good work hauling all that Tibs."
 

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
"Well, we've got disapproving leadership sending us on a mission that's going to be strenuous in a terrain unknown to us and if we fail and survive, we're going to get our asses reamed. So...yeah we're in Basic again!" Tibs chortled as he laid down the equipment then bellowed "COME AND GET IT SQUAD" and took off for the barracks for his stuff.
 

NKdotzip

The Occasional Wizard
Staff member
INDE Staff
Ralley finished some work on the front end of the Chimera and rounded the vehicle giving it one last look.

"Chambers is a pretty quick study," Ralley said as she wiped her hands off on a rag, "Between the two of us, we ought to get you back in time for any sort of ass reaming you like."

She retrieved supplies from the pile in pairs. One for herself, the other for her new student, and made her way inside the tank, "We're all set to push off sir," she said, giving a significant nod to the sergeant, "Just say the word."
 

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
As Tiberus jogged back with all his supplies and his first love, the Man Portable Las Cannon, he retorted "Ha! Not much into ass reaming myself. And especially not from you. I've seen what you can do with this Chimera, you're libel to attempt to ram the entire thing up my ass. Nah, I'm good." I'm ready to go sarge. He plopped his butt on a seat and began tuning his new weapon and introducing the las cannon to it.

"I still need to name yall, but play nice. Both of you can coexist with me at the smae time, I promise. Oh and ignore the M36, it's not invited to the party," he told the las cannon and heavy bolter.
 

Konrad

Wordsmith
Staff member
INDE Staff
Shattered GM
Gradually, order sprouted from the chaos of their activities. Girard and Bremmen sorted and distributed the gear, then stashed the rest inside. With only 8 guardsmen in a tank meant for twice their number, there was plenty of storage space for the demolition charges and the new heavy weapon. By combining Sergeant Harris's experience around command vehicles and Private Godwin's technical acumen, they were able to figure out where the long-range voxcaster was intended to be installed and do so correctly. A quick test earned them a positive response from Captain Thruel's vox op. With the extra rations from the mission gear requisition, they were sitting on five weeks' worth of food, less one day. They were sitting pretty, all things considered.

Chambers coaxed Tyra from her slumber under Ralley's tutelage, and the latter announced herself with a rumbling roar. Their bags were packed and the engine was running. It was time to hit the road. If all went well, their 250 kilometer trip to the north shouldn't take more than twelve to fourteen hours, rough terrain included.

Notes said:
On Comrades: Tiberius and Cyntha have yet to introduce theirs. Now would be a good time. While I have been manipulating them, specifically Chambers, you should each feel comfortable managing them as well, like Wilhelm has.
 

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
"Hey, Liam-loader. Give me a hand with this shiny new toy!" exclaimed Tiberius jovially.

Liam sighs, "Just because I help you load things doesn't mean you----," he paused his complaint as he spun around to see the Heavy Bolter sitting in Tib's lap. "Holy shit man, that this is GORGEOUS." He stands quite short, just over 5 feet tall with short, blonde hair and a slight physique. Unlike Tiberius, he's far more serious, although just as excited about new weapons, if not moreso. He has a scar vertically down his left cheek that he got in a hunting accident back home. His gray eyes twinkle at the sight of the new heavy weapon, despite being a Weapon Specialist.

"I KNOW. DIdn't you hear me talking to it a few moments ago?"

"No, I pretty much ignore you talking to your weapons so I don't have to report you for being bliteringly insane. But less about you, tell me about how its mechanisms sing."

"What are you, a Techpriest?"
 
Last edited:

Konrad

Wordsmith
Staff member
INDE Staff
Shattered GM
Tyra plowed into the jungle, harried by well-wishes, salutes, and cheers. The men left behind did not know Tyra's mission, but any act of aggression on the part of the Abyssal Fists was a good sign in the eyes of the veteran combatants they had come to support. The voices quickly faded and were replaced by the thrush and thrum of vegetation surrendering to the might of the Emperor's most versatile weapon. After a few pointers, Chambers was left alone driving the Chimera, and Ralley was relegated to R&R duty in the infantry hold with Liam, Natalie, and [the unnamed Comrade].

Four hours in, Tyra got stuck in a small furrow in the soft muck beneath her treads, and Chambers couldn't seem to work the chimera free. She scrambled into the back and offered Ralley a sheepish smile. "Your turn." (Operate: Land + 20 to wrestle Tyra free of the muck).

Four hours was a significant chunk of the journey, Sergeant Harris noted to herself. It was probably a good time to make sure they were still on the best heading. She ought to double-check their route, or at least order one of her subordinates to do so. (Navigate: Land +0)

It wouldn't be a terrible time for a piss stop, either, and maybe some grub. They didn't need to stop, nor had they been given orders that the mission was time-sensitive. Decisions, decisions.

Note said:
Now is a good time to brush up on your character's weapons and gear and make sure you understand all your tactical options. You have some very useful tools in your standard kit. It would also be good to refresh yourselves on combat maneuvers, as you will undoubtedly need them at the Promethium Refinery. There's a few cheat sheets in the drive I shared back when we started.
 
Last edited:

Lithairian

Idea Man
Staff member
INDE Staff
Cynthia looks around. "Alright piss stop!" She looks to Hogan, the newest private of the group and motions him to her. "Alright kid since your new its time for you to learn, ever read a map before?" She looks at private Hogan jones, rather on the small size for a guardsmen, but built like a ork and always looking ready to fight. He had a scar running down the side of his cheek that no one has figured out how he got yet.

Hogan looks at his sergeant and shakes his head no. "Hogan has not, serge." he says in a deep gruff voice.

Cynthia raises an eyebrow, then shakes her head. "Alright, then its time you learn." She begins going over the map and tries to figure out were they are and how much farther they have to go.(INT33 + NAV0 + 0=33 vs 2PASS) Looking out the viewports and down at the map a few times, she looks at the map. "Alright so this is our position." She points at a spot on the map then drags her finger up a ways. "And this is our destination." she looks at Hogan. "So by looking at the terrain around us and these lines and elevation on the map, while also using identifying markers around us, thats how I was able to figure out were we are on the map." Cynthia looks at Hogan. "Make sense?"

Hogan looks outside then at the map. "Hogan will need practice."

Cynthia nods."Not easy at first." Looks to ralley, "How long til were unstuck?"
 
Last edited:

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
"Roger dodger, sarge! Liam, let's roll out. I've got some leaves to shoot!"

Liam snorts, "What are we, teen girls who need to go to the bathroom together to discuss the boys?"

Tib rolled his eyes, "Nah man, I just don't want some creature or Ork to sneak up on me while my willy is out. Worst obituary ever." He grabbed M36, opting for a smaller weapon so he could adequately take a leak without a huge weapon getting in the way. "See M36, I may talk shit about you, but I take you places when I need you most. Piss stops," he chuckled.

"That's really unnerving man. My M36 doesn't like being degraded like yours does."

"Well, maybe I just got lucky!" Tiberius exclaimed as he peered out the back of the Chimera before fully opening the door.