• Forums Closed Indefinitely

Hey! We wanted to thank you all for your contribution to these forums. However, at this time with the lack of activity and the constant influx of bots, we find it unncessary to continue to operate these forums.

Please join us on our Discord Server!

The 1337th New Texas Abyssal Fists

Lithairian

Idea Man
Staff member
INDE Staff
Frustrated with the language barrier Cyntha begins using her hands a lot more, making large jesters at everything. Finally seeing the FOB coming together shes lets out sigh and nods as all tasks are coming along well. "Well that should be a good start." She nods and looks to her squad. "Alright you lazy freeloaders, Rotate out and get some grub. Afterwards see to maintaining your equipment, both given and born with!" She waits last to get food, letting her squad eat first.

Konrad

Wordsmith
Staff member
INDE Staff
Shattered GM
The platoon and their cohabitants, a 4th Brontian Longknives platoon and a handful of Skrynne-guards, had all contributed and so had all been fed. Some of the locals even offered some native seasonings and guided Natalie in the proper use of them. Skrynnes offered locally "spiced" lho-sticks and Brontians shared their homemade amasec. It was like breathing hickory and swigging hospital air, but the afterburn from either was invigorating, and together they achieved a sort of simmering nirvana: perfect for guardsmen meditating on a cook fire.

The night fell in relative quiet and calm. Then the inebriants kicked in, and stories flitted over the fire. Comprehending the details of many Brontian stories became difficult as their dialect became thick in the absence of sobriety. But the cadences were familiar- triumph, loss, harrowing fear, morbid humor. If not the specifics, then at least the moods were easy to follow. More tongues loosened, and eventually stories shared reminded each of you of one of your own.

Ralley recalled that first time in training that they put her behind the wheel.
Cyntha was reminded of the first mission she ever led as a Sergeant, back on-- oh shit, what was the name of the last planet? She couldn't recall.
Wilhelm reflected on the time he and a few friends on guard duty whiled away the night with a dance-off.
Tiberius summoned up a humorous tale from his final days on the farm.

(please share your stories)

Last edited:

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
"So no shit, there I was 4 days from deployment stinkin' drunk walkin' through the woods," he mimics stumbling around drunk which isn't too hard in his current state, "when a huge dark shape rushed me. It let out this terrible roar!" he mimiced the roar and being scared from it, "Its 5 glowing eyes locked on mine and it charged. Me bein' me, I pulled out my trusty sawed off shotgun," he points to one of the longknives custom shotties, "I had the foresight to carry with me, and was linin' up both barrels," he mimics bringing the rifle up," and suddenly the creature stops and shrieks like me buddy Joe when he pissed himself when we was 6 and me older brother scared the piss out of him. Literally. Anyways, come to find out seven of the lads and lasses who hadn't gotten drafted wanted to give me one last good scare. Instead they collectively piddled themselves. I got them to buy me more whiskey as penance for their failed attempt! It's hard to scare the Tibbs!" He laughs and drinks more oft he local brew.

lostabyss

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
Wilhelm took another swig of whatever alcohol they had here, the amasec was a bit less filtered than he was used to but it still did the job. How did they make a wine from a grain anyway? Shouldn't that have turned into a whiskey or brandy? His thoughts roamed around in his mind, finally resting on the last time he could relax like this back on New Texas.
Back in training, the grueling task of building, maintaining, and learning how to construct the best fortifications was an essential part of being a guardsman. It was incredibly boring and monotonous, so any down time was relished with the passion of dozens of devoted, bored, men and women who were likely to die in their upcoming mission. So they got smashed like they have never been smashed before.
Who was it that modified their vox to pick up the local station? PTE3.223 did their hourly prayer and then...what was the name of that band again? Sister's of a Down? Golden Sabbath? Laz N' Roses? Eh, whatever. It was some good music. Or maybe it wasn't and we were all just that drunk. Half the group wound up dancing around the fire like a bunch of uncoordinated finks that lost their bearings. Can't remember who 'won' that dance off but I remember him passing out at the end, his head slammed into the fire pit. Needed 6 stitches later and got chewed out by nearly half the regimental brass for that.

NKdotzip

The Occasional Wizard
Staff member
INDE Staff
Ralley had enough to drink to loosen up a bit, but she never drinks so much that she couldn't shake it off if she had to. She was leaning next to Chambers, clearly a bit closer than her younger protege was comfortable with.

"It was my first week in training," Ralley said, clearly reveling in the memory, "They ran us twice a day, once in the morning, then again at night. Every singled goddamned time I'd stop to watch the new pilots operating their ships, tanks, bikes, whatever. I got my ass beat every time I did, but that didn't stop me. They were all so magnificent, I couldn't help myself, ya know?"

"So after beating me up for the fifteenth time," Ralley continued with a shit-eating grin, "My commander decided to strap me in to see if maybe finally getting my rocks off in a tank would keep me focused on my duties as a plain-ass guardsman."

"No offense to present company, of course," she said, interrupting herself and motioning to anyone nearby.

"He told me that he was going to put me in a Chimera, and even gave me time to study up and practice some driving in a Tauros," she explained, "But the asshole thought it would be funny to fly me half-way around the planet and drop me in a Baneblade to watch me panic."

She took another drink, and pokes Chambers in the shoulder, "Which I was. I was scared fucking shitless, let me tell you. But let me put this in perspective, as a lady yourself, you well know that there's one really important love-button we all got. That's like the Chimera. Simple, straightforward, as long as you know what you're looking for, it ain't hard to make things go."

She paused for a moment, almost for effect, "Baneblades are the same thing. As it turns out my commander had never been inside either of them and just assumed since it was bigger, it was more complicated. It also helps that I drove transport trucks back on my hiveworld since I could reach the pedals, but that's beside the point."

Ralley finally leaned back, giving Chambers some much-appreciated space, "I gave that thing the ride of its life. You should have seen him shit himself when I did a donut around where he was standing. Once my time was up, he told me that I made that tank my bitch."

"The next morning I found out that I had been reassigned. I went out and got this to celebrate," Ralley concluded, pointing to the tattoo on her neck.

Lithairian

Idea Man
Staff member
INDE Staff
Having had a few Amasecs and stories a plenty began flying around, Cyntha was reminded of the first mission she ever led as a Sergeant, back on... some planet she has long forgotten. ,"My first mission as a sergeant on some backwards planet was one to remember. Were dropped on this rock to quell some sort of insurrection. Commisars yelling orders, grunts moving quick under heavy fire, officers in the back cowering as officers do." Chuckles a bit at that.

,"So me in the middle, I get my squad together and charge one of the fronts. Heavy fire all over the place, but I managed to find us a route through the line. My heavy gets up front and we get ready to rush the enemy line. Just as we are about to go... Wouldn't you know it that they set this up as a trap. Gunners jump up from around the rubble and started laying down fire."

,"First wave did some damage but I manage to grab and yell for everyone to get to cover. Instinctually they move but not all made it. We get to cover and wouldn't you know it? the dumbasses fired all there rounds at the same time and reloaded at the same time. So what do I do? That's right, unleash the heavies and blast these fools out of the verse. Well it was smooth sailing after that and we mopped the floor with those insurrectionists."

She leans back, satisfied with her telling.

Konrad

Wordsmith
Staff member
INDE Staff
Shattered GM
(+1 Fate point everyone, excellent stories.)

There were a lot of laughs in the wake of Squad 16's stories. Despite the variety, the common thread of military- or in the case of Cyntha's story, morbid- humor was a resonant link that chained their tales together. In spite of the grim dark cosmos in which they lived, worked, and fought, there was still laughter to be found.

And they weren't the only ones. A Longknife shared his personal favorite prank: replacing a ceremonial dagger with a dildo, which his CO then presented to their Battalion Commander. It was easy enough for everyone to picture: a Commissar dramatically unsheathing his badge of honor only to find a big floppy phallus waggling in his hands. That squad was stuck emptying latrines after every meal for a month, "But it was worth it," he declared.

One of the few Skrynne-guard, one of the last of the planet's native defense forces, shared the time his spotter mixed up his herbs in the wild: what he thought was an aloe for burns was in fact a poisonous ivy. His ass was burned and itchy for a week, during which he couldn't sit and slept each night on his belly.

As the night waxed obsidian and the fire waned to embers that no one felt compelled to replenish, guardsmen slowly began to trickle away toward the barracks. In the morning, as everyone roused from their incredibly soft mattresses in the wood-framed barracks, the uncommon sensation of restfulness filled each of them- hangovers notwithstanding. Two hours after dawn, Lt. Rancher announced himself with a loud pounding on the barracks wall. "Squad 16! Sergeant Harris! Briefing at 1200 local. Do not be late. Yer gear better be inspection-ready- Chimera too. Clear?" As soon as she responded in the affirmative he nodded and ducked out of the barracks. The day was theirs until a noon briefing.

(If you have anything else you would like to do before continuing, now is the time.)

SUPPLY DEPOT 29

Overview: Supply Depot 29 is on the front lines of the conflict. It houses a platoon of from the 4th Brontian Longknives and twenty-five members of Skrynne’s garrison soldiers are also assigned to the base. These troopers are distinguished by their armour composed of native hides and the autoguns that they carry at all times. The garrison soldiers wear a haunted expression, which contrasts sharply with the grim determination of the Longknives Guardsmen. In spite of brutalities of war, morale is surprisingly good.

Administrative Offices: All of the officers on site share the facilities located within the Administrative Offices building. This fortified stone structure was once a Skrynne garrison outpost. While it bears numerous scars from the ongoing war effort, it is the most structurally sound construction within the depot. It is clearly hundreds of years old and has endured throughout.The interior walls are elaborately sculpted gothic stone. There are more than two dozen offices within, though due to the number of officers on site, most house several desks, some of which are shared by officers who work different shifts. The building’s basement serves as a bomb shelter and a briefing room. The room contains theatre seating that can accommodate up to a hundred individuals. Two guards stand constant duty before this structure. With the exception of individuals assigned clerical duties, enlisted soldiers are only permitted access in the company of an officer or when they have been ordered to do so. One of the guards always holds a clipboard with a listing of any soldiers currently expected to report.

Barracks: Each platoon is assigned a basic hut structure as their barracks. Rather than metal construction, these are built from native woods. The interior of the barracks have a musty odour, but they are largely waterproof. The bunks fold out from the walls. The mattresses are made of a natural fabric, which has an elastic quality and is surprisingly comfortable. The front three quarters of each barracks is a single open room with enough fold out bunks to accommodate a full platoon. There are no lockers. Soldiers either bring a footlocker or live out of their packs, using the hooks mounted in the walls.Each structure has the luxury of running water, complete with full showers and toilets making up the back of each barracks. A narrow hallway between the restrooms and the sleeping quarters has two doors. One leads to a tiny private room for the platoon’s commanding officer. The other holds a small meeting room with a table that can accommodate up to twelve individuals.

The Hole: A square tent—roughly 25 metres per side—bears a badly painted sign proclaiming it “The Hole.” This is the recreation tent for enlisted guardsmen. It is only open from one hour before sunset until four hours past sunset. All enlisted soldiers are provided with weekly chits that offer them one drink per night at The Hole. Officers seldom enter the establishment, but when it is open, a Commissar (see page 374) always stands watch outside to make certain that anyone who enters has a valid chit and that nothing too rowdy happens inside.The atmosphere in The Hole is generally friendly. The available drinks are well-watered, but there remains a steady market in chits—particularly from those who are on duty during the club’s operating hours. Inside, there are typically amateur musicians playing and at least two tables engaged in illicit games of chance. The depot’s rumour mill flows through The Hole. This is always the place to find out the latest information on upcoming deployments and to hear of recent mission successes and failures.

The Medicium: Two of the same style huts as the barracks combine to make up the Medicium. Its hundred beds for injured Guardsmen are tightly packed and the moans of those in pain counter the sound of the life support devices that keep the comatose from receiving the God-Emperor’s final blessing. The front portion of one side is cordoned off as a surgical area, where two surgeons struggle to keep up with the constant stream of new patients. Outside, tents offer cover for the injured who wait their turn for treatment. A small pharmacia is adjacent to the building’s other entrance. Soldiers who have prescriptions for ongoing treatments are expected to make daily visits to receive their therapeutic drugs. Other than the medical staff, only members of the Ecclesiarchy are permitted to visit injured patients. There are far too many virulent strains active within Skrynne’s environs to risk further contamination of the sick.

The Motor Pool: A corrugated steel building near the landing strip, the motor pool services and stores all of the depot’s vehicles. This large structure has facilities capable of performing maintenance on up to forty vehicles at a time, though it is seldom fully utilised. The steel walls bear countless scars from battle damage. Many of these show signs of hasty repairs and mismatched paint work. Others are open to the exterior. The sounds of metal hitting metal, active welding, and the whir of pneumatic tools loudly echoes through the structure.Functioning vehicles wait outside in a cordoned off area. Guards are always on duty to make certain that only those authorised for vehicle use are able to take them. Several promethium storage tanks for refuelling are also located near the motor pool. However, these are cordoned off and nothing is stored too close—there have been instances where an Ork attack struck the storage. The casualties and losses reached unacceptable levels.

Officers Club: This freestanding, small wooden building is open at all hours, but access is strictly limited to officers and the serving staff. There are countless rumours of the vast luxuries available within, but one-way windows and an uncannily silent serving staff leaves them unconfirmed. Smoke rises from its attached stone chimney and provision trucks make regular deliveries. With few exceptions, the depot’s officers always dine here.

The Quartermaster: A ceramite bunker with a reinforced, double width metal hatch represents the above ground entrance to the Quartermaster’s station. Servitors, guardsmen, and automated weapons fervently guard the hatch at all times. Upon entry, a hydraulic lift occupies the entirety of the bunker. Passengers can use it to descend 25 metres below ground to the heart of the supply depot’s stores. The below ground portion is a sprawling complex that is almost certainly larger than the remainder of the above ground base. The hum of the air circulation system, the whir of forklifts, and the clank of servitors echo constantly through spacious warehouses. Unless assigned duty to work with stores, Guardsmen are only permitted entry to the Quartermaster’s office. Black and yellow chevrons clearly delimits this region and servo skulls actively monitor the section for offenders.

lostabyss

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
Wilhelm wipes down his las, giving it a good prayer while doing so.

"I offer my life to the Emperor, I pray that He accepts it.
I offer my strength to the Emperor, I pray that he redresses it.
I offer my blood to the Emperor, I pray that it quenches His thirst.
I offer my body on the altar of the battlefield, I pray He grants me a noble death.
I pray for His protection, as I offer all that I am."

"Wish I still had those holy incense for this. It will have to do. I know His eyes are upon us now, I just hope we don't let Him down."

With an almost shameful look at his armor being scuffed from dirt when he was digging a foxhole, Wilhelm did his best to make it look presentable.

"Things were a lot simpler when all He required of me was to stay pure and provide for my family."

Konrad

Wordsmith
Staff member
INDE Staff
Shattered GM
MISSION 1: Promethium in the Wilds

Come noon, Skrynne time, Squad 16 was all seated in the barracks briefing room. Just as Private Ralley took her seat, Lieutenant Rancher called them all to attention. They all surged to their feet in sync and clasped their hands to their sides. Boots thumped behind them toward the table in the front. "At ease," said the new man as he stepped into view. His lapels were sporting the local Captain insignia: a silver, gothically styled S with two horizontal slashes through it. Lieutenant Rancher gestured toward the Captain and introduced him as the Skrynne Liaison Officer, Captain Thruel.

The Captain nodded as he laid what could only be a rolled up map onto the table. "Your performance during the landing has drawn quite a bit of attention to your squad. Now, it seems I need to do something about it. You’re being sent on a brief detached assignment. It involves a trip several hours away from the base and I need you to look sharp and do your best. Remember who you’re representing and be diligent. I’m not sure how long this is going to take, but don’t dawdle. You’re needed back here as quickly as possible." He paused briefly and gestured for them all to gather around the table to inspect the map.

"Until a handful of years ago, Skrynne's main exports were food and medicine. Then we discovered massive deposits of promethium. The potential for orks to seize those deposits is the only reason there is any Imperial presence here-- you. Six days ago, we lost contact with a promethium refinery 250 kilometers roughly north-northwest of here. It's all rough jungle terrain from here to your destination."

He studied the eight guardsmen standing beside the table, then rose from his bent position as if just noticing something. "There are only eight of you?" Captain Thruel glanced to the squad's LT.

"Only eight. They're m' short squad, but still better n most o m' fully manned squads."

Thruel nodded respectfully and continued. "I cannot stress enough, the jungles of Skrynne are not like anything elsewhere. This place is crawling with things that want to eat you. Those rifles doesn’t put you on top of the food chain, they just give you the chance to not be at the bottom. Remember that. The plants will try to dissolve your flesh and the cats will lick the remnants off your bones in a single slurp. Do not get out of your chimera without a damn good reason.” Again there was that pause as he assessed his audience.

"Excellent. You will approach the refinery, you will retake it, and you will hold it until reinforcements can arrive. Here is your mission gear-" he slid a a requisition form to Sergeant Harris. "And your chimera will be supplied with a high-power vox to report your success. Questions?"

Requisition Form said:
Jussio ab Centurion Thruel
Daret Caterva 16 ad Legionis 1337th Abyssal Fists:

• 1 Long-Range Voxcaster
  • 1 Heavy Bolter and 300 rounds ammunition
  • 6 Demolition Charges
  • 2 weeks Field Rations
  • 1 wet weather attire per guardsman

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
Taking a peek over Cynthia's shoulder, Tib's eyes widen with glee as he whispers "Tibbs calls dibs" about that shiny new toy the Captain was dangling in front of the squad. He didn't particularly care for leadership above Sergeant, but he may start to make an exception if the captain kept handing out goodies like they're going out of style. Tib looked to Cynthia, waiting to see if she had any questions as the only question Tiberius had was how fast could he pick up Cynthia and haul ass to the armory.

Lithairian

Idea Man
Staff member
INDE Staff
chuckles at Tibs and nods, "All you." She then turns back to the captain. ,"what were the defenses at the refinery? were there any guards garrisoned there for protection? if so how many? what was the main method of transportation for that refineries resource, ground or air? Are there any Air assets that can do a flyby to give us any additional intel while were on the move? once we Vox that the refinery is secured, how long will we have for reinforcements?" she pauses after each question waiting for an answer.

Looks over the map studying each piece of it. "Melting flesh... have the locals thought of harvesting that solution and weaponizing it? maybe a dissolving round for lighter weapons, could help with cleaning up the filth of orks." Chuckles to herself.

lostabyss

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
"Tibbs dont you dare name this one without us..." Looking over to Cyntha with a narrowing glare.
"I don't like the lack of intel on this. If it was our refinery, shouldn't they have voxed for help if they were under attack? Is this a 'secure at all costs? scenario or "destroy it if its in enemy hands" scenario?"

Wilhelm grabs a small aquilla he had as a necklace and starts a nearly silent prayer, barely audible under his breath. His heart sinking at the thought that this might be a suicide run into the middle of an ork army.

"We'll go wherever the Emperor needs us. If its into His waiting arms then so be it, hopefully we can get some more service done before that though."

Konrad

Wordsmith
Staff member
INDE Staff
Shattered GM
Lieutenant Rancher glared at Tiberius and cleared his throat to remind the guardsmen of his decorum in front of so senior an officer.

Thruel took in all their questions before firing back his answers. "Good questions. The refinery has five-meter rockrete walls with nine ten-meter towers: two towers at the south gate, one at each corner of the wall, and one in the middle of the east, north, and west walls. Each has an autocannon, and the jungle is cleared fifty meters out from perimeter on all sides, so it's pretty easy shooting. There were guards-" he glanced briefly at Wilhelm, "-and they did radio for help, but we've not had the manpower to address the situation until you arrived. Just the same, we cannot provide you any aerial support; it's all tied up in other engagements currently and cannot be spared. The promethium was delivered by truck. I also cannot guarantee a time when reinforcements will arrive. Your regiment is greatly needed on the main front to relieve the embattled Longknives there."

The Captain's stiffness softened ever so slightly and he sighed. "We're on the back foot, guardsmen. The Longknives are exceptional warriors and are familiar with deathworld terrain such as ours, but fighting Big Meks and War Buggies without any armored support of your own is no easy feat. Your regiment is the relief we desperately needed." Then, almost as an afterthought, "Oh, and if you see any locals out there- and rest assured there are Skrynnefolk out there- be sure to lend aid if you can do so without compromising your mission. And I cannot stress this enough: do not expose yourselves unnecessarily. You've not experienced a place like Skrynne and I'd rather not lose you to misplaced curiosity. Any other questions?"

To Do said:
1. Ask any remaining questions
2. Requisition Mission Gear (Logistics +10)
3. Prep the Chimera
4. Have fun roleplaying

The stage is yours until we've resolved at least 3 of the 4 items on that list.

NKdotzip

The Occasional Wizard
Staff member
INDE Staff
"Is there infrastructure in place at the refinery to refuel and rearm if necessary?" Ralley asks, studying the map along with the others, taking note of changes in elevation en route to the destination.

Lithairian

Idea Man
Staff member
INDE Staff
Cynthia looks to Ralley and nods. After waiting for the answer she looks to the captain. "Only one way in can make things... dicey if those walls are occupied by enemy forces... but the chimera can handle it." Looks to ralley, "I do have a good crew for her." looks back to the Captain. "Is it possible to get that vox message repeated so we can hear for ourselves? And can we get a copy of a map of the area? Also are there any skryennefolk that know the area that can act as a guide? Just one will work."

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
Ignoring the Lt's scathing look, Tiberius stared at the requisition paper a bit longer before finally tearing his eyes away with a shallow sigh to the map in front of them. He looked for any good choke points the squad could use, any choke points the orks could use, or high vantage points from which they could blast the greenskins back to their God Emperor forsaken hellhole.

lostabyss

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
I'll take it this is 'hold at all costs' scenario then. Perfect. Nothing like a good suicide mission to start off our Deathworld adventures. Although...it is a manned refinery...maybe they have some good recaf there. Might be nice to get a good cup in. Natalia makes a decent cup but its made from the oldest, driest recaf beans I've ever seen. It's a miracle she is able to make a drinkable recaf at all.

A smirk crossed Wilhelm's face as he remenisced about his past, being back home with his wife and kids. Getting up early to hunt, his wife having made a fresh pot of what had to be the best recaf in the sector. The temperature could dip to -10 in the morning, even when it wasn't winter, so having a nice warm cup was a blessing from the Emperor Himself.

Deciding to keep his memories to himself as this was still a briefing, Wilhelm kept quiet about that. Best not to annoy the captain after all.

"Cynthia, think you can get an emergency can of fuel for us? should alleviate Ralley's fear."

Konrad

Wordsmith
Staff member
INDE Staff
Shattered GM
Glancing over the map, they would note that the terrain was almost perfectly flat, with little to no shift in elevation for most of the trip. However, the density of the jungle ahead would likely require adjustments in the route all along the way. The geography provided no choke points between the supply depot and the promethium refinery, nor any sort of high point, unless someone was willing to risk climbing trees.

Thruel nodded to Ralley. "Yes, guardsman, the facility- as far as we are aware- is fully active and still producing. You could certainly refuel your chimera once you've seized the site." Next, he fixed his gaze on the Sergeant. "No, we don't have a recording, nor would it matter. It was little more than an SOS followed by ork grunts and silence." He sighed. "Sergeant, I've given you everything I can spare in that requisition order. Honestly, I had half a mind not to give you the heavy bolter, but I want to make sure you have every possible advantage once you seize the refinery. I wouldn't send you if we believed the refinery was in the possession of the primary OPFOR*; to the contrary, intel suggests it is likely a small force or feral orks. It should be well within your means to take and hold."

"Any other questions?" His previously cordial tone was becoming strained, but otherwise he remained the image of professionalism.

*OPFOR: Opposition Forces

Last edited:

Lithairian

Idea Man
Staff member
INDE Staff
,"Flat, simple approach, dense vegetation with 50 meters between us and the refinery means we can scout before hand. Seems like a nice drive to a scenic spot captain." She smiles, "That will do it for me." Looks to her squad. "any of you got anything to add or ask of import?"

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
Tiberius shook his head, "Nope. I'm good and ready to kick greenskin ass, sarge." The threat of "no new heavy weapon" had sobered him up a bit. This is why he didn't like upper leadership. First they giveth, then they taketh away! He put on a neutral face to hide his internal scowl.