Taste in music!

Pul

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
Hey all, I'm curious and would like to talk about your tastes in music genre's or artists.

While working on the project over the years my tastes seem to go full circle surprisingly.
Right now I'm settling back on the Atmosphere, Modest Mouse and Coheed & Cambria styles.

Atmosphere (older anyway) has some deep subjects that can lead to some rather deep thoughts. While personally I can't directly relate to most of it, it does tell stories that I've found helps me explore new concepts and possibilities. On the flip side it also has some pretty up-beat songs that can set a solid work / groove pace hah. Little Math You is a good song that comes to mind.

Modest Mouse is for mellow background noise. Relatively steady beats compared to the rest of my music, it's really good for when doing long stints of solo-based development of a new concept / re-working of proposal to which I'm pitching to the rest of the team. Every now and then a song will pierce the veil of background noise and resonate that it's ok. A good example will be Float On.

Coheed has a special place in my heart particularly for their song Welcome Home. It's what i was listening turn on return to the States from a paid vacation overseas courtesy of Uncle Sam heh. On top of the reminder that it could always be worse than developer's block, Coheed has some rather fast paced songs that can set a tone for the day of getting things done. One way or another it's always possible.

So, thats some of my musical tastes for now, as well as their inspiration to me.
How about you guys? I'll always be appreciative of some good music tossed my way.

bear

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Until recently I was very much into a lot of Black Metal and Progressive stuff. Tool, Opeth, Katatonia and darker music like Type O Negative have always been a staple basic of mine. I started off with the basics; some Sepultura, Fear Factory and Coal Chamber, but as my tastes grew, I found myself disliking thrashy, screamy metal in favor of something a bit more melodic.

Like you however, I have started the pendulum swinging back into the Post-Metal genre. Still very prog and dark Ц almost to the point of Sludge Metal in some cases, but they inspire wonderful scenes and stories in my head and have been a great inspiration for some of my later drawings.

Some good Post-Metal examples;

Crib45, Hacride, Cult of Luna, Mouth of the Architect - and if you are looking for something mainly instrumental for background noise, I suggest Russian Circles.

NKdotzip

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
Good to see another metal fan. I've been all over the music spectrum, but my home seems to be generally somewhere in the various incarnations of metal and the harder edge of rock.а

My two favorite bands are Demon Hunter and Thrice, but I like pretty much anything else.

elcookie

Shattered Core Backer
I like a wide range of music, from rock to metal to folklore music. Some of my favorite bands are the likes of: Slipknot, Stonesour, Shinedown, Amaranthe, Bon Jovi, Queen etc.

I like the folklore music then I play pnp because it gives a good ambiance to men and the other players

Music in rpg's can give a whole new life to it if ppl have a hard time living them self into it and if the GM uses something like soundcloud he will be able to find alot of monster sounds like dragon roar and wings, a pack of wolfs that are howling and so on. Really adds alot of depth to the rpg

Konrad

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
I'm all over the place. I tend toward artists that are doing something just a little bit different from everyone else. My friends and exes say I'm a music snob. My top artists currently include Thrice (especially Alchemist Indexes forward), Windmills, AWOLNATION, and Glitch Mob. That said I have a longstanding love for Tool (NEW ALBUM ON THE HORIZON OMG), A Perfect Circle, Nine Inch Nails, and the like. Never really got into the metal much, Tool is as close as I get.

Some other artists I've had banging around my head lately would be Nico Vega, Meg Myers, Fort Minor, and OIKI. I think I'm starting to develop a love of Trap as well, but only time will tell.

Konrad

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
Like I said, I have a particular love for their newer stuff. Artist in the Ambulance was good, but the Alchemist Indexes are AMAZING. Beggars was fantastic.

NKdotzip

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
As do I, but my love of their work starts at Artist in the Ambulance and proceeds on. Beggars and Major/Minor are currently my two favorites of theirs. Cant wait to see what they're going to do now that they've gotten back together.

Pul

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
Well, as it turns out, I've already started to cycle back to the EDM style of music. Tomorrowland mixes are, glory.
a 3 hour Tomorrowland mix + case of monsters, let's get work done!

If you can't tell, I'm clearly in the middle of one of those sessions haha.

bear

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Pul said

Well, as it turns out, I've already started to cycle back to the EDM style of music. Tomorrowland mixes are, glory.
a 3 hour Tomorrowland mix + case of monsters, let's get work done!
If you can't tell, I'm clearly in the middle of one of those sessions haha.
I think a KublaCon music exchange may be in order!

fnar777

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
I like all music, but Pink Floyd resonates with me on a personal level.

For games, it depends on the game. I love 20's swing when playing Call of Cthulhu. I love metal when playing Exalted.

I also have a tendency to pick theme songs for my characters whenever I make them. For my current Rekindled, I was gonna have Pinwheel's Theme from Dark Souls for his bg music >:D

Konrad

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
fnar777 said
I also have a tendency to pick theme songs for my characters whenever I make them. For my current Rekindled, I was gonna have Pinwheel's Theme from Dark Souls for his bg music >:D
I love this, and have taken to doing this as well as trying to find songs that make a strong atmosphere for my players when I'm running a game.

fnar777

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Konrad said
fnar777 said
I love this, and have taken to doing this as well as trying to find songs that make a strong atmosphere for my players when I'm running a game.
I'd love to hear some of your character ideas you and the rest of the team have thought up... in fact I may make a topic in general discussion for character profiles/stories. What do you think?

NKdotzip

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
fnar777 said
Konrad said
fnar777 said
I'd love to hear some of your character ideas you and the rest of the team have thought up... in fact I may make a topic in general discussion for character profiles/stories. What do you think?
That sounds like an awesome idea.

fnar777

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
NKdotzip said
fnar777 said
Konrad said
fnar777 said
That sounds like an awesome idea.
Then it shall be done

aphiliam

Shattered Core Backer
I like all sorts of genres, there are very few don't have at least a couple songs that I enjoy. That being said, I usually default back to indie pop/rock/folk. I also really enjoy classic rock and early 2000's pop and punk.а

а

My favorite bands currently are:

• The Decemberists
  • Ludo
I'm pretty obsessed with the CD The Crane Wife by The Decemberists right now. I can't stop listening to it. I should almost have an intervention.а

Before that it was You're Awful, I Love You by Ludo and I feel like the next two coming up will be Broken Bride - Ludo and either Picaresque or The King is Dead by The Decemberists.а

а

EDIT: Iаguess it's pretty obvious if you're familiar with those two bands, but the number one thing I enjoy out of music is a song/album that paints a really vibrant story, even if it isn't one I can identify with per se. (Um, A Cautionary Song anyone?)

fnar777

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Aphiliam said

EDIT: Iаguess it's pretty obvious if you're familiar with those two bands, but the number one thing I enjoy out of music is a song/album that paints a really vibrant story, even if it isn't one I can identify with per se. (Um, A Cautionary Song anyone?)
You ever listen to the Wall?

On that note I just got my copy of the Division Bell by Pink Floyd... so I officially own a solid copy of every album I could find

hadokenchild

Shattered Core Backer
My current goto genres are:

Metal

Electronica

Alternative

Progressive

Hip Hop

а

Metal: Mostly from bands like Fear Factory, Static X, Flotsam And Jetsam, Metal Church, Megadeth, аAnthrax, Carcass, andаDevin Townsend, with fringe genre bands like Prong, Ministry, KMFDM, аand NIN.

а

Electronica: The Prodigy, аThe Chemical Brothers, The Crystal Method, Fluke, Junkie XL, and Hecq. I do like listening to soundtracks that have the same theme and feel as the Blade Runner soundtrack. Ambient cyberpunk stuff. But I do this when I'm creating world's to play in :)

а

Alternative: Alice In Chains, I Mother Earth, Janes Addiction, аFilter, аPrimus, Infectious Grooves, Pennywise, Dave Matthews Band, аand Bad Religion.

а

Progressive: Rush, Yes, Dream Theater.

а

Hip Hop: MC Frontalot, MC Chris, Schaffer The Darklord, Danger Doom, Jesse Dangerously, Nurse Hella, Dan Bull, Optimus Rhyme, and MC Lars. Essentially, only nerdcore.

а

Honorable Mentions: Weird Al, Jonathan Coulton

These days, I usually listen to music while I'm designing, so I like to keep it calm and instrumental (music with lyrics tends to get too repetitive). Favorites are Tycho, Massive Attack, Atra Aeterna, and Boards of Canada, butаI also like jazz musicians such as Bill Evans and piano composers such asаChopin.

I don't listen to bands a ton anymore, but old favorites that I can still stomach include Mute Math and Keane. If I need something dark or heavy I'll listen to Tool, APC, Pantera, or Metallica. If I need rock, I listen to Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Queens of the Stone Age, orаsome old local bands.аFor soundtracks, I like Hans Zimmer. 80's pop is a guilty pleasure.

It just depends on my mood and what I'm doing.а

Top Bottom