Spell Power - Some Clarification and a Suggestion...

bear

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Hey guys,

I just wanted to make sure I am not missing something. There is a single line in the book regarding spell power;

A spellТs power is determined by the casterТs rank in that spellТs particular school.
That - at least to me - says that if you use a spell as a level three Primatheurgey caster, your SP is 3.

This is the only place I can find in regards to setting a number. Adding SP to a spell accumulates Overcasting Points I think, but perhaps some kind of more clear point system would make spellcasting a bit more obvious.

Something like this:

Spell Power (SP) is a measure of how strong your spells are. Every time your cast a spell, it can have several effects. The most amount of SP you can put into a spell - at least safely - is equal to your magical ranking; so for example, if you have a ranking of 3 in the Primaltheurgy school of Arkфna, you can cast any spell up to SP 3 without suffering any ill effects.

Adding effects that increase the SP over your Arkфna level accumulates Overcast pointsЕ etcЕ etcЕ
Then you could add the table with SP costs. That means that with 3 available SP, you give the spellcaster an option of being able to perform a lesser-damaging spell with more interesting side effects without accumulating Overcasting points, as well as having Overcasting points available if they want a heavy blast with additional effects. This also means that you keep the adaptability of the spellcasting trees without forcing players to always dive into overcasting.

Just my twopenneth.

Konrad

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
This is exactly how it was intended and is currently written in the Arkфna documents, which must mean we had some older verbiage in the playtest we released. I'll see if we can get the playtest updated.

bear

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Konrad said

This is exactly how it was intended and is currently written in the Arkфna documents, which must mean we had some older verbiage in the playtest we released. I'll see if we can get the playtest updated.
Oh awesome!

Top Bottom