Shield questions

toxic4mosh

Shattered Core Backer
So some strange things were asked about when i was asking players to create characters today with the rule to craft their own weapons (Cost of X notes and pre-rolled UC). but first with a question we encountered.

In the Armor and Shield progression section (Page 129) it lists a toughness requirement for both armor and shields but on pages 118&119 the armor has a toughness requirement and the shields have a strength requirement, so is there a typo? or does buying a shield and making a shield have different requirements?
few more notes on shields, for crafted shields can they use shield bash? if so is the damage the same as on page 119? this should be more clear on the shield crafting section? how much damage does my DR 5 crafted shield do? is it 1D6+2 or 2D6+4?

Also this same troublesome player wanted to know if a shield counts as a weapon and if he could block with 2 shields to increase his DR?
He brought up that on page 119 it said they could be used a weapon
"They come in a variety of styles and can also be used as weapons by performing a shield bash."
So does that mean with this paragraph:
"If you have both a shield and a 1 handed weapon, You can block with
both at a penalty of 1. On success, you add the shield’s and ½ of the
weapon’s damage dice to DR."
That he could use two shields and bash with them and then treat one as the weapon and add half the weapons damage dice to DR?

More trouble came to be as he then asked about the Defensive Duelist talent.
Can he select the weapon type to be a shield?
"You must specify a specific melee weapon of choice. When wielding
this weapon, earn a +1 bonus to Block checks. You may take this talent
multiple times for different weapons, but only gain this bonus from
one weapon at a time."

All i had to say was someone was a massive captain America fan.

NKdotzip

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
In the Armor and Shield progression section (Page 129) it lists a toughness requirement for both armor and shields but on pages 118&119 the armor has a toughness requirement and the shields have a strength requirement, so is there a typo? or does buying a shield and making a shield have different requirements?
That's is definitely a typo.

few more notes on shields, for crafted shields can they use shield bash? if so is the damage the same as on page 119? this should be more clear on the shield crafting section? how much damage does my DR 5 crafted shield do? is it 1D6+2 or 2D6+4?
Some of this is kinda leftover from a recent change to Shield crafting, something I'll fix for future releases. For the time being use 1d6 + Shield DR + Strength to determine the damage for a shield bash.

Also this same troublesome player wanted to know if a shield counts as a weapon and if he could block with 2 shields to increase his DR?
He brought up that on page 119 it said they could be used a weapon
"They come in a variety of styles and can also be used as weapons by performing a shield bash."So does that mean with this paragraph:
"If you have both a shield and a 1 handed weapon, You can block with
both at a penalty of 1. On success, you add the shield’s and ½ of the
weapon’s damage dice to DR."
That he could use two shields and bash with them and then treat one as the weapon and add half the weapons damage dice to DR?
Oooo. This is a good one, give your player a high five for this one. I'll bring it up with the team tonight, but for the time being I would say that the second shield gets half it's DR to block. That may be a little OP, but that should work for the time being.

More trouble came to be as he then asked about the Defensive Duelist talent.
Can he select the weapon type to be a shield?
"You must specify a specific melee weapon of choice. When wielding
this weapon, earn a +1 bonus to Block checks. You may take this talent
multiple times for different weapons, but only gain this bonus from
one weapon at a time."
Yet another good one. I would say yes on a technicality. I'll bring it up with the team tonight.

toxic4mosh

Shattered Core Backer
That's is definitely a typo.
What one is the typo? haha Im under the impression toughness is the typo on the crafting page, but my captain america fan wants it to be strength as the typo so he can have more toughness!!

thanks for getting back to me quickly. let me know when you find out the answers for my questions.

NKdotzip

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
What one is the typo? haha Im under the impression toughness is the typo on the crafting page, but my captain america fan wants it to be strength as the typo so he can have more toughness!!
Whoops, sorry. Shields have Strength Requirements while Armor has Toughness requirements.

Top Bottom