• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Rekindled Information

bear

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Can we get a bit more information on the Rekindled?

From the look of them, they seem to be like ghosts that are animating pieced-together constructs of organic and mechanical materials. The idea of some kind of RoboWraith just gives me chills thinking about how awesome that would be to play.

Any elaboration on what makes themЕ well, them would be great.

NKdotzip

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
First of all, welcome and thanks for your support!

а

Sure, I can spill a few details.

One the most basic level (as you know from our kistarter page), a Rekindled is a being of pure will. When you die, if there is something that you are holding onto -- something you're not willing to let go of -- you can, through that sheer act of will and defiance towards death force a new physical body into existence. Their bodies aren't exactly mechanical, but they're not exactly organic either, they just exist in a sort of limbo. Now, when you "come back" as a rekindled, you remember very little about your life before. You know your name and possibly how you died, but beyond that, you've lost everything.

Here's a small tibit from of their flavor text:

"When a Rekindled rises they are quite literally shells of their former selves having no memory of their past, who they were, or what brought them back from the grasp of death. Bizarre and twisted, they retain pieces of their former bodies, tethered in loose amalgamation by dark tendrils of magic and unnatural fusion of extraneous bones and joints."

Some Rekindled will settle down, usually with others of their kind, content with having a second chance at life, where as others may search for their old life, looking for their new reason for existence. Others still are driven mad by this form of afterlife and have been known to wander into the wilderness then prey on travelers. These Rekindled are called "Pariahs".

а

So on the role play side of things we wanted players to be able to have a sort of clean slate to work with. Where as other races have larger more fleshed out cultures that influence character decisions and personality, the Rekindled don't, so they don't necessarily come in with any prejudices or predispositions as far as their personality is concerned.

On the crunchy side of things, Rekindled start the game with bonuses to mental resolve, the Arkana or Psychic archetypes and a few others that tie into their idea of being strong willed.

Hope that helped a little bit. If you have any more questions, we will do our best to answer them.

bear

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Oh God, that sounds delicious.

Can the Rekindled come from pretty much any kind of race then? Kind of like revenants from the DnD franchise, in that their former race does little more than serve some kind of aesthetic flavor to who they are now. If so, could a drone likewise become a Rekindled, piecing together a new body from a mixture of disjointed machines and organic, twisted materials? Again, really digging the idea of some kind of necromechanical, and if this is possible, perhaps my brain concepts can work.

NKdotzip

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
Yes, any sentient race can become a Rekindled and the previous race doesn't impact the character's stat line or abilities at all. As you put it very well, it's primarily for aesthetic flavor. From that perspective of flavor, we're not going to dictate what you can and cannot do.а

Now since you mention, necromechanical, I'll touch on a couple of other things real quick that might interest you. Rekindled are not the only state of "undeath", if you will.

First, there is the Necromancer, which belongs to one of our three main schools of magic. I won't get too into the mechanics, but they can use their abilities to create a creature that we call a Stitch. A Stitch is basically Frankenstein's monster, you gather a collection of body parts and "stitch" them together. You then "Spark" them using a little bit of your blood or parts of your memories which brings the creature to life. They stay with you as long as they don't get killed and you can make upgrades to them as you progress.

Second is the Marshal of Death. Marshal's are sort of inquisitors for the various faiths that exist in the world of Shattered; they seek out and eliminateаcorruption in their own order while also acting as its champion if need be. Their primary power revolves around a collection of miracles that they can perform on behalf of their faith. In the case of the Marshal of Death, they can capture a person's soul before they die and before they would become a Rekindled, they can then transfer that soul --usually kept in a small vial-- into another body, perhaps a corpse or a necromancer's un-sparked Stitch.

а

Hopefully that catches some more of your imagination.

-zip

bear

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Well.

Guess who you just got as a fan for life?

All this is freaking glorious. So just to clarify, you could potentially have a Rekindled Necromancer, built out of the former corpse of a Drone, who, like himself, could potentially create a Stitch out of a combination of say... human parts and the parts of other drones, or shades or whatever else s/he comes across?

If that's the case, when do I get to found my Necromechanical Empire of Bone and Steel?

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
Essentially, yes. To get into the system a bit more than Zip, you can also "bolster" using more of your blood or memories your Stitchаto make it more powerful. You can make it an intellectual (help you craft better, etc), you can make it the party's tank, and you can even make it power other devices among other things.

NKdotzip

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
What Tex said. We had one playtester that -- in order to get a dilapidated airship off the ground -- created a reactor stitch to power the remaining parts of the airship.

а

Reactor Stitches posess something called a Bio-Reactor, which is essentially a bio luminescent tumor that can be tapped into for power. Players can get them too, and they're quite potent.

bear

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Once again, loving it. I can see this setting is going to just play havoc with my Lovecraftian, moderately sadistic, metal-as-eff GM style.

bear

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Well, some like it that style. Other groups like high adventure and that is something I can do too... I just prefer to keep the mood of my games darker and more... anxiety-ridden.

BEAR said
Well, some like it that style. Other groups like high adventure and that is something I can do too... I just prefer to keep the mood of my games darker and more... anxiety-ridden.
There is a good chance anxiety will be in the air, especially when groups go up against my monsters...

fnar777

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
BEAR said
I would love to play a game in that style

The Rekindled are my favorite as well.

fnar777

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Also, how well known are Rekindled? Like if one walked in the room would people instantly know what it was, or are they more a rumor, and actually seeing one would freak someone out?

What happens if a rekindled loses that drive that keeps them going due to just living too long or losing hope in general? Do they die, or turn feral because they're starting to come apart at the seams. I was just thinking how wild a Rekindled with a decaying face and no cloak would look, and as usual, when I think up a character design, I put a story with it :p

Konrad

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
fnar777 said
Also, how well known are Rekindled? Like if one walked in the room would people instantly know what it was, or are they more a rumor, and actually seeing one would freak someone out?

What happens if a rekindled loses that drive that keeps them going due to just living too long or losing hope in general? Do they die, or turn feral because they're starting to come apart at the seams. I was just thinking how wild a Rekindled with a decaying face and no cloak would look, and as usual, when I think up a character design, I put a story with it :p
The Rekindled are very well known in most parts of the world. You'd have to be from some really rural tribe or a hermit to be unaware of their existence. That said, first encounters can be unsettling. But the same could be said for meeting a Wretched with a bio-reactor for the first time too.

Losing that drive, typically, will have no ill effects. Some Rekindled, however, do go mad from their past or their current state of being. It's common enough that some Rekindled have tasked themselves to police the continent for such wild Rekindled. Just a little hint of some culture-fluff.

fnar777

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Konrad said
fnar777 said

The Rekindled are very well known in most parts of the world. You'd have to be from some really rural tribe or a hermit to be unaware of their existence. That said, first encounters can be unsettling. But the same could be said for meeting a Wretched with a bio-reactor for the first time too.

Losing that drive, typically, will have no ill effects. Some Rekindled, however, do go mad from their past or their current state of being. It's common enough that some Rekindled have tasked themselves to police the continent for such wild Rekindled. Just a little hint of some culture-fluff.
Ah ok, I love culture fluff. It makes the universe feel more alive.

dreamerofdays

Shattered Core Backer
By the Tribunal that sounds glorious. The rekindled are one of my favorite looking races. Question: are they artistically influenced by the Eridian Wraiths of Borderlands? Not trying to call you out or anything, because I <3 the ever-living f*%& out of Borderlands. I think the aesthetic of aetherial, pseudo-humanoid is awesome.

BEAR said
Once again, loving it. I can see this setting is going to just play havoc with my Lovecraftian, moderately sadistic, metal-as-eff GM style.
If by Metal-as-eff you mean, like, "Heavy Metal" or "Heavy Metal 2000"... I <3 you. Or hate you. Hell, I dunno. : P