Racial Traits and Fear

Overall, I love this system. аIt has a lot of familiar stuff while still being new and interesting. аBut I do have a couple concerns, though nothing major.

These are based off of reading the Advance Playtest V 0.15, so that is my knowledge of the system.

Firstly, racial traits. аI like most of them, but my only concern is that there are a whole lot of them. A whole lot, and they are generally active powers, or something that needs to be kept track of. аThey are interesting and useful, which is what I think the goal was, but I worry that they might be too much. аIt is a lot to keep track of, and makes the race you pick have a pretty heavy impact on your mechanical play, rather than the impact of race mostly being on role play. аIt is a minor issue though.

My other concern is with the fear system. аI love the idea of the system, especially given the setting. аBut to me, it seems like it will weaken players very quickly. аHowever, I haven't been able to playtest the game with my friends, so I don't really know. аI should be asking a question here; people who have played, how quickly do people go insane/take fear effects, and how much does it hinder them?

And again, these are my biggest worries about the system, and they are relatively minor.

NKdotzip

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
Hey, thanks for the post! I hope some of our playtesters will reply, but I can tell you from a Dev perspective, fear being a powerful force was very intentional. The reactions can be very debilitating, but we wanted the world to carry a certain degree of lethalityаwith it and Fear was one of those options we went with.

Konrad

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
This is a very good question. Tonight is a dev night, so we'll discuss your concern about racial traits. Could you point out some in particular that warrant this concern? It'll give us a better idea of what the real problem is.

As for fear... having been part of the earliest playtesting and now a developer I can say the impacts of Fear are largely dependent upon the GM and how actively they implement the system.

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
In line with what Zip said, it is also up to the GM how much fear is used. As for the racial traits, I see your point. As a dev, I respectfully disagree. You can think of them as free Talents in a sense. We wanted our races to have distinct advantages and disadvantages over simple differences. However, I am willing to take a look to see if we can simplify racial traits.а

I'll try to better phrase my concern over racial traits. аThough I do want to say, I love the races in Shattered. аWhile a lot of them draw inspiration from other stuff, I think it's really impressive you managed to make a whole suite of new, interesting races. аEspecially the Alypse, I think they are the coolest thing since sliced bread.

And I really like that there are active, involved racial traits, as well passive stuff, rather than only passive things. аMy concern is just that each race has so many things going on, relative to other systems I know, that I feel like it could be hard to keep track of.

Take the humans, for example. аYou've turned generic fantasy humans into, well, still the middle ground, super varied race, but with that extra spice of bigotry to give them character and fit them in. аAnd they have neat things to reflect that. аBut they have 2 powers that are once per session, two traits that modify rolls in specific situations, an ability that triggers when they go below 0 health, and a free skill. аAll of which fits and makes sense, but it is a whole lot to keep track of. а

And I don't know how that could be fixed, and I'm very glad you guys will talk about it. аI don't want to see the races lose any of their character, but I also could see people getting easily overwhelmed by the amount of stuff they can do, or easily forgetting something that could save their life. аMaybe I'm just being panicky.

Also, little star struck actually getting response from the dev team. аThat is neato mosquito to me

NKdotzip

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
Thanks for the kind words. I feel I can speak for the rest of the dev team when I say how blown away we were by the love that our racesаhave gotten.

We're currently firing on allаcylinders to get rewards out to our kickstarter backers, but once we get that squared away, we'll take another look at racial traits to see if we need to simplify anything.

Hey, we're just a bunch of regular, albeit nerdy, guys and girls who wanted to make a game. I'm flattered though, we really want to make the best effort possible to be involved with the small community we're trying to grow. Because without you guys, Shattered is nothing. :)

-zip

There are certain things that could do with clarification. For example, the Marquis and Draculist Ascendant Vampire Racial Talents don't actually explain what they do, but they do interest me a ton. Being able to more easily see what abilities do and how they work would be very much appreciated. I very much love this system and the world you guys have created.

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
Hey @pryme1117 they are somewhat more lore related than anything however, we did make an oopsie with them. Marquis makes you only take 1/2 damage from UV radiation and Draculesti Ascendant makes you take no damage from UV radiation. From a lore perspective, they increase your lifespan, too. If you have any questions about Vampires, I'm the guy to ask.

@Tex, thank you so much for the quick response. I'm fascinated by this world the moment I first laid eyes on it. I apologize for any future questions I pose. I fear I may get annoying very quickly about how things work. :)

Top Bottom