• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Opposed Faith Domains seem a bit Unbalanced

bear

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
To give the exact example, the Life and Death Domains seem really oddly favored in Life's success.

The opposing powers have the following effect;

If you are in the domain of Life, you start to rot. After 3 turns (so there is some leadup), you are harmed by healing spells (which Death domain guys don't have) and take no continuous damage.

If you are in the Death(metal) domain, you immediately lose your connection to death, suffer immediate damage that cannot be soaked and gain fatigue (which can also kill you if you have a lot of HP.) Also you don't have healing spell to mitigate damage.

Given the way it is worded, it is not entirely clear if the damage is ongoing or just for one round however. If it is ongoing, you are really in the crap. If it is just one round of damage and one point of fatigue total then that may be a bit more justifiable. Death takes some immediate downside, but Life suffers a constant effect of potential damage, even if it cannot be directly administered by the opposing Marshal. Still, it seems somewhat unbalanced.

Just an opinion!

bear

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Also, as a side note, not having a healing ability in the Death domain seems a bit unbalanced.

There are a few ways Death-based Marshals can justify the removal of wounds. Rather then mending a wound, they are simply staving death away from the body. By removing the metaphysical connection to death, the wound does not take hold of the flesh and the damage is mystically reverted.

That was how I justified Death Clerics using healing back in my old games at least

zelkein

Shattered Core Backer
yeah I tought the same, maybe add a life steal mechanic which does not ask you to be near dying creature to heal, maybe life steal and life transfers so that the death marshall can heal himself and damage himself to heal allies.

zelkein said
yeah I tought the same, maybe add a life steal mechanic which does not ask you to be near dying creature to heal, maybe life steal and life transfers so that the death marshall can heal himself and damage himself to heal allies.
I like it, but I think it should be like 2а times a session max. Because it seems strong for a scry ability that doesn't cost CP.

For the life opposed power from death should be something like. In the presence of death your body begins to rot, you suffer a random as determined by the GM: You begin hemorrhaging internally suffering from the bleed condition, you fall ill in the presence of death gaining the nauseated condition, the mere sight of death terrifies you as you gain the paralysis condition for 1 round and suffer from the GASP reaction from fear for the following round

This way it has an immediate effect and I think it fits the for the life Element because life is always trying to get away from death and in the presence of Death their body doesn't know how to react.

Also for the opposed power for death from life I kinda like the way it is but maybe have it the way it is for 3 or so rounds then have their attacks be at a -3 because in the presence of life they are more unwilling to take a life.

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
Yall bring up some good points. I'll make sure we take a look and discuss this on Tuesday, our next dev night.

Konrad

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
The entire Conviction system is currently on the chopping block for massive overhaul. When I finally got around to try and edit it...

Well you can just ask Zip. It's basically all red text and about a billion virtual sticky notes, and if it's not red it's probably crossed out. Needless to say, we're taking all this into consideration when we get down to taming that beast.

bear

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Konrad said

The entire Conviction system is currently on the chopping block for massive overhaul. When I finally got around to try and edit it...

Well you can just ask Zip. It's basically all red text and about a billion virtual sticky notes, and if it's not red it's probably crossed out. Needless to say, we're taking all this into consideration when we get down to taming that beast.
I look forward to seeing the results!

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
Yeah Conviction has always been a system of controversy with us. It's been through quite a few iterations.

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
Just as an update,аKonrad and I are working on this now. We can't give you a time frame for when the update will be complete, but know that we will attempt to balance opposing faiths moreso than anything else since those will more directly interact with each other.

bear

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
If I may make a suggestion;

Keeping the penalties a bit more generic and leaving the aesthetics up to the players may be better.

By simply saying that the opposed power 'does x damage and inflicts blind' will let the opposing faith players have a much more balanced approach and can decide how it works. A Death Marshal may become overpowered with the life force of those around him, or an Air Marshal may find her skin turning into calcified, painful sores. The opportunity for descriptive story is available while keeping the mechanics fairly simple.

dreamerofdays

Shattered Core Backer
BEAR said
If I may make a suggestion;

Keeping the penalties a bit more generic and leaving the aesthetics up to the players may be better.

By simply saying that the opposed power 'does x damage and inflicts blind' will let the opposing faith players have a much more balanced approach and can decide how it works. A Death Marshal may become overpowered with the life force of those around him, or an Air Marshal may find her skin turning into calcified, painful sores. The opportunity for descriptive story is available while keeping the mechanics fairly simple.
That's true, but there's a lot of rule nazi's who need that concrete "ability does x for y duration" to function. Having rules open for interpretation can be fun, but some people struggle without structure.

Konrad

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
ALL Elements have been updated. We attempted to rebalance the Scrying, Graces, and Opposing Auras. Let us know what you think!