Necromancy and Stitches

demo3364

Shattered Core Backer
So my friends and I are trying to figure out exactly how making Stitches works.

If at all possible, can someone explain, step by step how one is made?

With that, a couple of questions, can you "Increase Spark" multiple times? If so, can you do both the Physical and the Mental Surges? Or the same one multiple times?

Also, what are the rules with creating a stitch prior to combat? If the Necromancer just dumps most of their overcast, then wait hours to recover most of them, is this just something they can do?

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
We're taking another look at the current rules for stitches to make it more understandable and easier to digest.

а

Yes, you can increase the Spark multiple times and use both Physical and Mental. You can't create a stitch in combat so the rules are for out of combat only.

а

And your comment about overcast is a flaw in the current system that weаneedаto address.

south2012

Shattered Core Backer
I would like to add my thoughts on Stitches here as well, I know this is an old thread but I am going to Necro it (see what I did there?).

I am confused about when the checks are actually made, during the sparking of the Stitch or during the adding of constructs, or both?

I wanted to have my Mastermind create a Stitch to fight a single PC, let me see if I did this right. To create the construct, I chose Brawler (SP 3) and gave it the mutation of "Calloused Arm" (mutation level 2, thus SP 4).а

The Mastermind has 3 ranks in Necromancy and 3 in Arkana. What I did was do a UC 6 check (2 * SP) to make the Brawler stitch construct, then added the mutation by a UC 10 check (SP = 0.5 * 3 + 4 = 5, UC = 2 * SP = 10).а

As far as Overcast Points, I think the first one would only cost me OP if the check failed (+1 OP) but the second one is +4 OP every time the spell is attempted and +1 for each failure.а

Once Stitch constructs were completed, I did a Blood Spark and Physical Surge. I did not do a check, because the constructs were already made (not sure if that was correct). The final stats of my stitch were: S3 A2 T1 I1 Health 23, Melee 3 Block 1 Hand-to-hand 1 Athletics 1 and the ability to block with his shield arm DR 3.а

Questions:

Was this the correct way to make thisаStitch?

What is its Perception for the purposes of Initiative? What about WillpowerаorаCharisma, if needed?

Can Surges (Blood or Mental) be done more than once? Can you do one of each kind?

What is the AP cost of bolstering a Stitch?

south2012

Shattered Core Backer
I also had an idea for the Stitch system. I was thinking about my Mastermind actually physically creating this Stitch, by literally stitching together dead corpses to make this ungodly creature. I think that for each construct type (be it Acrobat, Hulk, Brawler) there should be a number of corpses needed to be able to complete the construct, which would be wasted (at least partially) if a UC during creation was failed.а

A necromancer alone in the middle of the desert can't very well rig corpses together (unless he used chopped off bits of him/herself, I suppose). Obviously ones like Hulk should take more bodies to build, whereas Slither may only need a partial corpse.а

If y'all INDE folks wanted, there could also be specific parts needed for particular constructs, likeаthe brain of a brilliant person for the Intellectual. а

I think this system would really add to the flavor and storytelling of the game and would help make the Stitches section feel more complete. Let me know what you guys think!

NKdotzip

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
That's a really really good idea. And may be what the system is lacking. I'll throw a few ideas together and post what I come up with.а

-zip

fenrirwolflord

Shattered Core Backer
I agree with David in the idea of using perhaps parts of creatures/people you kill or needing parts to create what the player wants (the preset stitchs body parts). I also have had a dream of having a sorta necroswordmen who use's stuff's bone's into his undead(this case stitch) and when combat begins to draw them out or have the stitch kinda shoot them out in varies directions

Konrad

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
аWhile all of South's questions are perfectly valid, and I would normally go about answering them, we're currently in the process of overhauling the Stitch system to be more fluid and streamlined. The hope is to imitate our monster creation system to some degree, so that it while it is one more set of rules players have to learn, it is similar enough to easily pick up.

Top Bottom