• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Monster Artwork and Descriptions

south2012

Shattered Core Backer
Hello I.N.D.E. Team!

I wanted to offer some constructive criticism about the monsters of Shattered.а

I sincerely hope that you guys are going to take the same type of art that was created for the races and give a beautiful and terrifying display of the monsters. I see that in the plans, it looks like the guns will be fully illustrated but I have seenаno plans for illustration of the creatures that inhabit the world. I know that with the group I play RPGs with and myself, we would much rather have a brief description of the weapon and a great illustration of the monsters they will encounter, as opposed to detailed pictures of all weapons and no or few pictures of creatures. The creatures set the mood and incite terror, and I think it would be more beneficial to illustrate the all monsters.а

In the alpha playtest, I was a little disappointed by the descriptions of the monsters, for example the Watchful Sentry entry (no rhyme intended) simply says "When they awaken, raging black flames burst from their eyes. Otherwise, they remain still and silent in eternal vigil, unless they or the object of their protection are disturbed." This contains no real descriptive information.

You could instead say "These tall silent guardians remain for hundreds of years in silent vigil. They were once humans, but were adapted and changed into mechanical Sentinels whose faces areаlifeless and dull until they are disturbed. Before being awakened, these automatons often are covered in dust and debris and tend to look like statues or mannequins with somber expressions and are difficult to recognize as a threat if the viewer has not seen them before. These once living creatures are often foundаaround hidden entries to forbidden placesаand ancient ruins of cities. Intruders will be faced withаexpressions of fierce anger and black flames from the enraged eyes of the sentry, furious that something would disturb its rest. These interlopers are quickly and brutally torn apart, so that the Watchful Sentry can once again close its eyes to wait for eternity."

Describing in horrific detail what the players see is one of my favorite parts of RPGs, and good descriptions of creatures really help GMs extrapolate and weave stories around these creatures and fill the world with them.

I hope that other people will see this post and add their own suggestions for the monsters in this thread, which may help you guys (I.N.D.E. Staff) allow the monsters section to evolve into something truly terrifying and deadly.

Thank you!а

David

NKdotzip

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
Hey David!

Thanks for the comments! The monsters that we provided in the playtest are, as you pointed out, lacking a lot of detail. Our primary goal with this version of the playtest is to test the mechanics that we've put in place. To aаcertain degree, we had intentionally left it light in terms of fluff. But you're absolutely right, the description we had there is pretty weak, andаI can assure you that our every intention is to write up descriptions that invoke visions of horror and madness (where applicable).а

Thanks again for the criticism, and keep it coming. The more we get, the better this will be.

-zip

NKdotzip

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
Sorry I completely skipped over your thoughts on artwork. I think a big thing for us from an art perspective is to make sure we maintain a good level of diversity. Plenty of people love to look at weapons, while others like monsters and others still prefer cities, etc. The art we have acquired up to this point serves that purpose. While we only currently have artwork for one monster, we had a little bit of everything to show off.

We really want to get some more monster artwork.аSome of the descriptions for the creatures that didn't make it into this playtest really deserve some art to go with them. While we had planned on showing it in a recent update, I'll post the image of our monster, the Hangel, here as well. Enjoy!

-zipа

Konrad

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
David said
Hello I.N.D.E. Team!

I wanted to offer some constructive criticism about the monsters of Shattered.а

I sincerely hope that you guys are going to take the same type of art that was created for the races and give a beautiful and terrifying display of the monsters. I see that in the plans, it looks like the guns will be fully illustrated but I have seenаno plans for illustration of the creatures that inhabit the world. I know that with the group I play RPGs with and myself, we would much rather have a brief description of the weapon and a great illustration of the monsters they will encounter, as opposed to detailed pictures of all weapons and no or few pictures of creatures. The creatures set the mood and incite terror, and I think it would be more beneficial to illustrate the all monsters. ....

Describing in horrific detail what the players see is one of my favorite parts of RPGs, and good descriptions of creatures really help GMs extrapolate and weave stories around these creatures and fill the world with them.

I hope that other people will see this post and add their own suggestions for the monsters in this thread, which may help you guys (I.N.D.E. Staff) allow the monsters section to evolve into something truly terrifying and deadly.

Thank you!а

David
This is absolutely the intent, David. We love our monsters, and they are an integral part of the world we want to share. Zip beat me to the punch, showing you the Hangel. We fully intend to provide art for as many creatures as our wallets will allow, and look forward to sharing more as we progress in that regard.

south2012

Shattered Core Backer
I would also like to say that I give the I.N.D.E team full permission to use the ideas and descriptions that I post about and/or email to them. You guys can use part, all or none of these ideas and descriptions as you see fit. I wouldn't want legal issues to bog down the creation process of this RPG. You guys are doing a great job, keep at it!

south2012

Shattered Core Backer
So in the descriptions of the Drones, there is a section talking about how they were slaves of mechanical giants. Is this a metaphor, as in they worked for major industrial corporations, or does it mean literally mechanical giants?а

If it is the second option, can you elaborate a bit more on the role of these giants and give some more information about them?а

а

Thanks!

David

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
Literal mechanical giant. If you take a look at the book cover:аhttp://shattered-rpg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Cover-Final-HR1-1030x579.jpg

The big guy destroying the city? That's a Giant.

These Giants were mechanical monstrosities which were used to wage war prior to the Reckoning.

dreamerofdays

Shattered Core Backer
Tex said
Literal mechanical giant. If you take a look at the book cover:аhttp://shattered-rpg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Cover-Final-HR1-1030x579.jpg

The big guy destroying the city? That's a Giant.

These Giants were mechanical monstrosities which were used to wage war prior to the Reckoning.
That looks friggin' sweet. I'm a fan of the art and lore in bestiaries. Question: are you planning on having one kinda "catch all" rulebook on release a-la-Shadowrun, or are you gonna have a core rule book for players, a GM guide, and a separate bestiary like how DnD does it? I like the comprehensive book, but trying to load 300+ full color pages in my phone makes it have a heart attack. When you do release the book, are you planning on having a fluff, black-and-white text pdf version as well that's phone/tablet/netbook friendly?

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
It's 400+ pages actually >_>

That's actually a good point. We'll bring it up tonight. We plan for a comprehensive core rule book, but a stretch goal is the Monster Compendium because we have too many pages in the core book already.

fenrirwolflord

Shattered Core Backer
I am not sure how much work she will be doing on the monsters but i sawаCrystal Sully's stream of making the Spinewretch which if you have not seen yet or read about yet i would totally do so. I really hope she does a ton more art for INDE i rather like the artwork she has managed. I also hope she is allowed to stream more of it.а

Dream-of-days: I personally hope that they have the core books include both stuff for players and the GM info. With a Beastiary as a second book personally anyways. I mean i like the idea of getting monsters in the main book but i would love for each monster to be fleshed out more get great descriptions,infomation,stats all that jazz.а

Konrad

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
fenrirwolflord said
I am not sure how much work she will be doing on the monsters but i sawаCrystal Sully's stream of making the Spinewretch which if you have not seen yet or read about yet i would totally do so. I really hope she does a ton more art for INDE i rather like the artwork she has managed. I also hope she is allowed to stream more of it.а

Dream-of-days: I personally hope that they have the core books include both stuff for players and the GM info. With a Beastiary as a second book personally anyways. I mean i like the idea of getting monsters in the main book but i would love for each monster to be fleshed out more get great descriptions,infomation,stats all that jazz.а
Crystal Sully, thanks to her excellent work on the Spinewretch, will be doing much more art for us. And yes, we'll definitely let her stream it. That was fantastic exposure for us and her, and fun for everyone who followed along.