General Questions

Hi all! Like the description says, I just finished my character. I got stuck on Resolve though... how exactly do I calculate it? Is there a set value? Like I know that you add resolve to toughness and willpower to get your physical and mental resolve values, but where does the base 'resolve' value come from?

Also, is there a specific thing that 'Simple' weapons do?

Thanks a ton!

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
You rank it up just like you do any of the other Combat Skills it works just like Hand to Hand, Dodge, Arkana, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about the classification of weapons right now as we are actively reworking the crafting and equipment sections.

а

Enjoy your time! :)

I have two new questions:а

1. Do you get +1 to block per Balanced weapon you're holding? For example, if you are dual-wielding balanced weapons, does that give +2 to block?

а

2. Are there any Katas in the playtest book (under ? Either I'm looking in the wrong place or they're not there?

а

Thanks!

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
1. Yes.....technically. Though we don't have any rules specifying if you can or cannot block with 2 weapons. That's something we need to look into more.

2. Yes, the are found on/around page 53. They are listed under "Styles". That's a consistency error we need to fix.

I am in need of clarification... Yesterday was my first chance to play the new playtest and there was confusion of the DR ruling on page 82. The way we understood it was that if something gets hit by a melee weapon and has a DR of 4 and the damage die read a total of 3 (without adding strength) and the DR become 1 for the rest of the round, then the static bonus damage (strength in this case) goes through and if they have a strength rating of 3 it takes 3 damage which by passes the remaining DR. Then at the end of the round DR goes back to normal.

I hope this question makes sense.

Konrad

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
Baconavenger said
I am in need of clarification... Yesterday was my first chance to play the new playtest and there was confusion of the DR ruling on page 82. The way we understood it was that if something gets hit by a melee weapon and has a DR of 4 and the damage die read a total of 3 (without adding strength) and the DR become 1 for the rest of the round, then the static bonus damage (strength in this case) goes through and if they have a strength rating of 3 it takes 3 damage which by passes the remaining DR. Then at the end of the round DR goes back to normal.

I hope this question makes sense.
It sounds like you have a solid grasp of our incredibly complex damage reduction system. That said, we're changing it back to our old methods in the next update. As it stands it's simply too complicated, and demands too much time and math from the players, slowing down gameplay and reducing the overall fun factor. It'll get the boot very soon.

Konrad said
It sounds like you have a solid grasp of our incredibly complex damage reduction system. That said, we're changing it back to our old methods in the next update. As it stands it's simply too complicated, and demands too much time and math from the players, slowing down gameplay and reducing the overall fun factor. It'll get the boot very soon.
I'm all for simplicity, but I don't remember the old system. Is there a estimated update date or will it be in August with the Official Playtest.

Konrad

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
Baconavenger said
Konrad said
I'm all for simplicity, but I don't remember the old system. Is there a estimated update date or will it be in August with the Official Playtest.
I'm looking to push out all our rule updates as soon as possible, hopefully tonight after our call. I'll post here again when I have an affirmative on the matter.

Good day, im a fan of shattered and have they playtest but as i was reading i saw that there was nothing on prosthetics. They are noted in the drone race but i cant seem to find anything on them?

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
Prosthetics were not included in the Alpha playtest but will be included in the soon-to-be-released Official Playtest.

Harradrush

Shattered Core Backer
In character creation section there is statement:

>you may reduce any of your Stats to 1 and retrieve the 3XP in exchange

But in stats cost table, rank 2 costs 6xp. Kinda confusing.

а

Anyway, I can't see a way to have stat below 2 except as result of overcasting.

And since Agility 0 is not instant death unlike Strength or Toughness, what happened if you overcast in such state? Will it be reduced to -1?

NKdotzip

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
Thanks for asking!

Since we have released the last playtest we have removed the ability to reduce your stats at Character creation for the reason you stated.

Also, no stat can be reduced below 0, and if I recall correctly, you do not die upon reaching 0 in Strength or Toughness. We gave refined the overcasting rules a bit, which should help address your concern there as well. They will be included with our next playtest release which will be released in the next week or so.

а

Thanks

-zip

Harradrush

Shattered Core Backer
Thanks for the answer.

It was stated in Strength description "Any creature with a strength stat of 0 instantly dies, being literally too weak to live" and similar for Toughness. I just think it would be cool way for necromancers to kill people through decreasing their ability to live instead of dealing direct damage.

Can't wait for next playtest. Thanks for your hard work.

I was wondering if Armor was meant to be as cheap as it is. Currently you could buy Armor rank 11 with starting Notes and be exceptionally hard to kill. Ultimately it doesn't matter, I can always just send additional heavy hitting enemies to them. I was just remembering Armor costing a lot more in earlier editions.а

I was looking at the mastermind system, and I noticed that health for the Mastermindаincreases every odd session bases on toughness. For PCs do we just increase health based on the starting value 2*toughness every time we level up toughness and take the difference. Like if 2*toughness was an 8 and we increased it a rank to make it 10 we would gain 2 additional health? Meaning the max health one could ever have with a rank 10 toughnessаis 60. I just wanted to make sure there weren't any other factors going into increasing ones health that I missed.

NKdotzip

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
Hey, good question.

а

Each time you increase your PC's toughness, you recalculate the toughness portion of your health (20+ (2*Toughness) + 2d10). So if we use your example a Toughness of 8 would give youа16 health. If we increase your Toughness to 10, it is now 2 * 10 which of course give you 20 health.

You also have things like theаEndurance talent (pg 102) for example.

Hope that helps! We'll be sure to have an example included in the future. :)

Happy New Year!

а

-zip

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
I can tell you that we're working on the last major system Airships and Vehicle Creation & Combat. And then we have more world creation.

Top Bottom