Fnar'n Friends' playtests

fnar777

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
The Setting:

Willowveil

Near one of the few great forests of Feneryss sits the city of Willowveil, a community of various races all working to make the city grow and prosper. However, as with any meeting of peoples, conflicts of interests have arisen, and so the previously human council will soon allow a young Shade named Jet into their midst. While many celebrate the integration of other races into the council, many of the more conservative or bigoted humans do not, while the vampires in the shaded Dark District cry out for their own councilman. Tensions are running high, and with people so on edge, nearly anything could work as a catalyst for violent outbursts. Things will get much worse before they get better...

History

Willowveil is an older city, founded by a farmer named Samuel Cassio and his family, fleeing from the destruction of his old home. While lost in the great forest he stumbled upon a large river, and followed it. After a few days of travel he'd begun to loose hope on finding a town, but then he came to a beautiful natural phenominon. On opposite sides of the river two Weeping Willows had grown tall, and had leaned over the river until a few of the branches had intertwined, the long leaves drooping over the river like a natural curtain, or a veil. Upon walking through he found an old farmhouse, with a healthy pasture of livestock, and a field ripe with fruits and vegetables. Upon walking up to the old house, they found the door ajar. Inside was an old man sitting in front of a burnt out fireplace in a handmade rocking chair, dead. He had died recently and, judging from the look on his face, in peace. The farmer sent his family outside and searched the house, finding no other people inside. Instead he found an old map, detailing the route to the nearest towns and cities, and an old journal, embossed with a picture of a willow tree.

The journal contained the story of Ephraim Lee who was the last member of his family, and had worked this land from his birth, until his death. He was given the land in his father's will, and he had managed to outlive his siblings, his wife, and even his two sons. The final page of the book looked different, the letters carefully written and neatly in the center of the page. It was a last will, giving this land to whosoever should discover it, providing that they respect the land, and bury him here.

The farmer began to cry as he took the old man's cold hand. He whispered promises and thank yous to him, though he knew he couldn't hear.

Over the years the farmer's family grew, and new workers came to stay, inviting traders and craftsmen, other farmers and hunters. The farmhouse grew to a town, into a city, but as it grew two things remained constant. The land was always respected and no tree may be felled without replanting it, and strip mining was outlawed, and in the center of town there has always sat a private graveyard for the founding family, but the oldest gravestone is not of the farmers line. It is the grave of the man who gave the farmer's family a home, the man who worked the land until his last breath left him. It is the grave of Ephraim Lee, now affectionately known as Old Man Willow.

The Cassio family has led the town since it was founded, the oldest son becoming mayor when the town needed one, and gathered good men and women for the council when the town grew too large to run alone. Since then the town grew into a great city completely run by the council, which have kept the city as prosperous and happy as possible, running it as a republic, allowing for the citizens to voice their opinions.

Layout

The city is build in a great plain on the edge of a forest with a river running through the center. The land is fairly fertile and farming is still a great source of income for some families. The area has temperate weather, and the biggest natural issues are the tornadoes during the Fall, which the city is prepared for. The city itself is very green, with most houses having a few plants outside and multiple parks throughout. Paths and buildings were built around trees instead of over them so the city has a very natural look to it.

Willowveil is comprised of five districts, the first of which is the Council District, home to the council building, the library, the guard barracks, and the Cassio family graveyard. The second is the Pasture District, home to all the homes and fields of the farming families. The third is the Market District, home to the traders and craftsmen, as well as a newer section dedicated to the manufacturing of new technologies. the fourth is the residential district, home to all the people in other professions: councilmen, librarians, arkanists, etc, and has many neighborhoods of varying financial standing. The fifth and final distinct is also the newest. The controversial Dark District was made for a nearby clan of vampires who agreed to live in peace with the other races for asylum from the sun. A Rekindled Marshal of Earth helped cultivate trees with a thick canopy that blocked the sun, allowing for vampires to have relatively normal lives there.

Demography

Human [60%] : Being the founding species of the city the human population is the majority, and they have also held all the council positions since the city's founding... until now.

Vampire [20%] : The second largest group in the city, and the primary race of the Dark District, the vampires mostly keep to themselves and the humans like it that way, but recent events have had the underrepresented mutants pressuring the council for a seat for one of their kind.

Shade [15%] : The newest, but fastest growing minority in Willowveil. The Shade came first to assist with a spiritual problem, but word quickly spread of the ancient forest near the city. Being from a barren, black, glass wasteland, many of the shade grew curious and came to live there, making homes for themselves as woodsmen and glass-workers. Unlike the vampires, however, the Shade were quick to ask for a council seat to support the concerns of their people, and they may have it soon

Rekindled [2%] : The Rekindled are few here and tend to keep to themselves, working on whatever passion drives them. Their long life-span and unsettling appearance causing them to be the creatures of school-yard ghost stories.

Wretched [1%] : The few Wretched that do live in the city are bouncers, guards, or the occasional pugilist. The ones that do show up are usually just passing through or looking for a few weeks of work.

Alypse [1.5%] : The Alypse that are in the city blend into human society. If the people knew they were here, it may start a panic.

Drones [.5%] : There are little to no drones in Willowveil, the only few being temporary hires for blacksmiths and mechanists.

This is what I came up with with the limited world info I had.

fnar777

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Game: 1

а

Players

• Shade, Stealth based
  • Vampire, Hand to Hand/Illusion
  • Drone, Gunner
а

Part 1:

The group are all new hires for the Dark Guard, having a mission to investigate some mission people in the district. They are given their first mission by the council to investigate some missing persons in the area.

Gave them a choice of information sources, since the Vampire was from the District. The Shade made a successful Inquiry check at 2x the difficulty. I told them that they heard УThat creepy human was dragging people down the sewer again. They decided to head down a hatch quickly.

Down the hatch the vampire saw a dry trail of blood with dark vision and (I shit you not) tried to taste the blood on the sewer floor. They questioned the girl with them, finding that she was unarmed they let out a collective sigh.

The group came upon a pile of strange green goo, and the Shade poked it with his scythe, popping the pudding-like skin on it, releasing a terrible scent, causing the vampire and shade to throw up (+1 FP). They pass several signs that say various versions of Keep Out

They come upon a blocked tunnel, a wall constructed of wood with one door in it. The Drone picks it like a boss.

Inside the room the Shade fucks up a Stealth check and earns the ire of a large undead creature with iron hands. They fight and deal about 10 damage when the necromancer pops out of it's chest shouting at them. He curses at them several times, calls them names, and gives them info on the actual culprits (Tran formation Cultists) and a side quest to collect blood from the cultists. They sent Cynthia home and continue.

After about 50 yards of sewer mazes they come to a cistern with 4 insane cultists in it. The vampire cleverly cast illusion on each of them, to cause them to kill each other. The last one was shot from the shadows by the Drone and killed.

The group found the stolen people, crucified and burned away to the bones with acid. The fear check yielded no insanity points, much to my dismay >.>

а

Homebrew:

• Exploding Dice (max rolls win another D4)
Problems:

• Illusion section unclear*
  • Does Focus up AP next turn or give +1 on roll?
  • Need rules for diagonal movement
  • Need rules for bullets (Prices, types, etc.)
  • Does the first arkana check for illusion also set the difficulty for the Scrutiny roll, or does it require 2?
*Illusion is formatted strangely, having us guessing what was the right way to use it. There are two entries under Nightmare, and we couldn't figure out which was right.

Konrad

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
Homebrew:

• Exploding Dice (max rolls win an extra D4)
Response: This is a pretty awesome idea in my opinion. I'll run it by the guys the next time we discuss damage, because we're definitely looking at ways to reward players for excellent rolls.

Problems:

• Illusion section unclear*
Answer: The problem with Illusions has been amended in the version of the playtest that is currently posted! Please redownload, and you will have a much simpler, much clearer version of the playtest.

• Does Focus up AP next turn or give +1 on roll?
Answer: +1 to your next roll. This could be anything: melee attack, dodge, arkфna, security, etc.

а

• Need rules for diagonal movement
Adding it to our list of things.

а

• Need rules for bullets (Prices, types, etc.)
It's rather low on our list currently, but we do intend to address this.

• Does the first arkana check for illusion also set the difficulty for the Scrutiny roll, or does it require 2?
Answer: Yes. Illusions are opposed rolls. Opponents must beat the caster's Arkфna roll for the illusion in order to see through it.

fnar777

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Thanks for addressing this so quickly

And for Diagonal Movement, it may help to take a page from DnD's book. Each square diagonal is actually 1.5yds, but it's always rounded down since .5 has no meaning in movement rules. So like 1st square is 1 like normal, and the 2nd would count as 3, the 3rd would be four, 4th would be 6, and so on. WHat do you think?

dreamerofdays

Shattered Core Backer
fnar777 said

And for Diagonal Movement, it may help to take a page from DnD's book. Each square diagonal is actually 1.5yds, but it's always rounded down since .5 has no meaning in movement rules. So like 1st square is 1 like normal, and the 2nd would count as 3, the 3rd would be four, 4th would be 6, and so on. WHat do you think?
I like using Pythagoras' Theorem (a▓ + b▓ = c▓) for that. But I make things harder than they need to be...

fnar777

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Dreamer-of-Days said
fnar777 said

I like using Pythagoras' Theorem (a▓ + b▓ = c▓) for that. But I make things harder than they need to be...
Well even then the result is 4.24 feet, rounded up for easiness is 4.25, which is only 3 inches away from 4.5ft anyway. 4.5ft = 1.5yds

dreamerofdays

Shattered Core Backer
fnar777 said
Dreamer-of-Days said
fnar777 said

Well even then the result is 4.24 feet, rounded up for easiness is 4.25, which is only 3 inches away from 4.5ft anyway. 4.5ft = 1.5yds
Like I said, harder than it needs to be. : Pаа That's just how I rationalize my diagonal on square grids.

fnar777

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Dreamer-of-Days said
fnar777 said
Dreamer-of-Days said
fnar777 said

Like I said, harder than it needs to be. : Pаа That's just how I rationalize my diagonal on square grids.
Yeah, no worries. I wasn't even trying to prove a point, I was just like maaaaaaath 8I and felt the need to do it.

dreamerofdays

Shattered Core Backer
fnar777 said

а ...

Homebrew:

I've been thinking about it, and this is actually a pretty awesome mechanic under this system.

аааа The Dilemma:

Since they aren't incorporating critical failures into the game, critical successes would be unbalanced. To address that, you could buff the monsters, but then that essentially punishes you for rolling poorly. There's other nuances to this problem.

But what you've managed to do is incorporate a luck system that benefits unskilled characters. At rank 1, your chance of getting a critical is 25%, where as by rank 4 it's dropped to 10%.

TL;DR I like it.

fnar777

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Dreamer-of-Days said
fnar777 said

а ...

Homebrew:

I've been thinking about it, and this is actually a pretty awesome mechanic under this system.

аааа The Dilemma:

Since they aren't incorporating critical failures into the game, critical successes would be unbalanced. To address that, you could buff the monsters, but then that essentially punishes you for rolling poorly. There's other nuances to this problem.

But what you've managed to do is incorporate a luck system that benefits unskilled characters. At rank 1, your chance of getting a critical is 25%, where as by rank 4 it's dropped to 10%.

TL;DR I like it.
Hey thanks man, that means a lot <:3

Konrad

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
fnar777 said

I'm gonna run this by the guys tonight. I really like this solution. It's simple.

fnar777

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
G

Konrad said
fnar777 said

I'm gonna run this by the guys tonight. I really like this solution. It's simple.
lad I could help :D

Konrad

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
fnar777 said
G

Konrad said
fnar777 said

lad I could help :D
This will be implemented with the next update!

Top Bottom