• Forums Closed Indefinitely

Hey! We wanted to thank you all for your contribution to these forums. However, at this time with the lack of activity and the constant influx of bots, we find it unncessary to continue to operate these forums.

Please join us on our Discord Server!

Errors found in the playtest book (help the Shattered team)

Status
Not open for further replies.

karalis

Shattered Core Backer
Is there a difference at all between melee attacks with weapons and hand-to-hand attacks? They have identical ratings and damages - even hand-to-hand, which one would assume has no base weapon damage.а

NKdotzip

The Occasional Wizard
Staff member
INDE Staff
Thanks for asking! By itself, no. Punching someone in the face deals 1d6 damage, not at all different from a melee weapon. The difference comes with Martial Arts, ahich allows you to essentially build your own fighting style and expand what you can do with Hand to Hand attacks.

Harradrush

Shattered Core Backer
p. 60 Can I Have That description: willpower misspelled as "Will Power"

p. 61 Get the Horns talent doesn't have Mess with the Bull as requirement

p. 62 Two talents named Wild Visage

p. 63 Rebounding Strike doesn't have Bouncing Strike as requirement

p. 64 Feral Roar doesn't have AP cost. Is it free action?

Gladiator and Heavy Hitter have save description

Parry and Riposte are absolutely identical except for "This may only occur once per enemy" for Parry.

p. 66 Hail of Bullets: need info how many bullets required. Do you spray full magazine over enemies? Can it be used with single-shot guns?

p. 67 Precise Shot: "Reduce the penalty of shooting into melee by 1 per rank"
Does it mean "Firing Into Combat" (p.31)? Or does it implies there should be penalty when you shooting someone in melee range?

Dead-Eye and We Got Ourselves A Cowboy talents require Quick Draw, but there is no such talent. And Draw Weapon action costs 0 AP anyway.

p. 69 Casting Talent requires Arkana (skill?) that was renamed to Casting as I understand.
In Successes and Failures section it is referenced as Arkana too. Same with arkana talents on page 76.

Overcasting rules: In Spell Power section statement "They may cast any kind of spell within their school provided they are of high enough Rank and/or possess enough Overcast Points" implies that you cannot willingly overcast over your limit, but it was never said clearly, though.

p. 70 Example for multicasting mentions Illusion school from old rules.

p. 74 Hulk has same description as Gunner

p. 78 Hurricane: "Enemies ... fall prone on a failed dodge roll". Does it mean any dodge roll they failed? Or there should be special opposed roll?

p. 83 First miracle has name "Healing Touch" while it probably should be "Faithful Shield"

Chronos: "while this miracle is in effect" There is no duration specified.

p. 84 Holy Vigil II and Zeal II have same description

p. 85 Holy Vigil III and Chronos III have same description

p. 88 Shinken style: Does it require separate action or is it part of the attack action? If former, how long effect lasts?

p. 89 Brutality rank 7: Is fracture supposed to be simple or compound?

Pain rank 1: "tack." at the end of sentence.

p. 92 Dragon's Essence: "Once used, the user is left at 0 health." Can it be used to restore health from negative value?

captainraspberry

Shattered Core Backer
Reading through at work, so this won't be the most comprehensive list, but I've noticed a few things:

• Can stats be lowered to 0? You have a cost present for buying a stat up to 1, but if the stat can't be lowered further than 1, then the information is just taking up space.
  • On the subject of cost, is there a rationale for how much a given rank in stats or skills costs? The prices soar as you get higher in rank, but it seems to be arbitrary. It's fine if it is, but it should be noted somewhere. If there's a formula, it would be good to know so GMs can address player questions about buying more ranks on the fly without having to consult the book.
  • The "Unity" talent on page 46 just repeats the description of the "Low Light Vision" talent on page 45.
  • Arkana is listed as a skill on the character sheet and the beginning of the playtest, but it's not listed in the skills chapter anywhere. It appears to have been replaced with Casting.
  • A more robust explanation of tiers and how they affect the XP cost of certain talents would go a long way, considering that in one column you have two Teir I talents, one of which costs 5 XP and the other which costs 40 XP.

NKdotzip

The Occasional Wizard
Staff member
INDE Staff
Hey thanks for the input! I'm working on getting an updated playtest posted tonight, which should address some of your questions. But to give you some quick answers while I work on that, here goes:

1.) Stats cannot be lowered anymore, it was in place at one point but we have since removed it. There was one section in character creation where we missed the mention of that, but that will addressed in the update I post tonight.

2.) On Stats, Skills and the 10 Tiered talents (Arkana, Martial Arts, etc.); each was assigned a total XP cost for all ranks cumulatively (i.e. it costs 1000 xp to buy ranks 1 through 10). That number is then separated, where the difference between the ranks is on a curve. That's about an 80% answer because I am not one of the numbers guys that came up with the method.

3 & 4.) Those were mistakes on my part when building the PDF. It will be corrected in the update I post tonight.

5.) Generally speaking, costs for talents that fall outside of the 10 Tiered ones I mentioned above are based off of their requirements.

I'll have our number guys post and give a more accurate explanation of those calculations.

а

Thanks,

-zip

Here are some errors, inconsistencies, and general questions. Special thanks to David "Oak" Stark for helping with this list.

I am aware that some of these may have already been addressed with the most recent up-date i.e. an hour ago.

[list type=decimal]
[*]When buying armor, is it like buying ranks of skills. (IТm assuming yes, but it isnТt specified)
[*]The armor and shield section is kind of confusing. The UC descriptions donТt match up, and the entire process is very confusing. A detailed explanation or example of a crafting setup is needed.
[*]For reactions; The dodge mechanic is too powerful, while blocking is not a viable option when comparing the two. In order to balance it, dodging should be restricted to once per turn and using what they rolled as the target number for enemies to hit. Blocking should be allowed for every attack because regardless of what they roll they get hit. (Or make blocking more powerful)
[*]Multiple spelling and grammatical errors.
[*]Most of the monsters donТt have AP numbers for their attacks or abilities.
[*]P.130 УHealth BufferФ has a positive connotation, but the mechanic is an upgradable negative effect. Recommend a name change for Уhealth bufferФ Ц damage threshold or fatigue threshold
[*]In regards to healing. Are there other mechanics other than during combat medicine checks, Marshals healing ability, and after combat combining medicine ranks that allow for healing between combat? It feels like you could just keep combining the medicine ranks to heal max. There should be a clause that limits how often combining ranks could be done or specifics for downtime healing.
[*]P.114 and P.129 prosthetics sections are repeated
[*]P.115 Prosthetic limb chart Уbasic, riot guard, solo, and infiltratorФ are not explained and appear to be out of order.
[*]Entire prosthetic section need to be looked over. Attachments, health buffer, grade, and maintenance time are explained as independent factors, but are grouped on the chart as if they are dependent mechanics.
[*]Need a chart of available talent types. On or around P.44 УTalents, archetypes and mutationsФ with a short description of what each entails.
[list type=decimal]
[*]Racial talents Ц customize base racial abilities
[*]Mutations Ц Details of how the body has changed due to radiation
[*]General combat talents Ц useful for any combatant
[*]Melee combat talents Ц focus on weapons
[/list type=decimal]

[*]Re-address dying condition P.33 or description of stabilization P.31. Neither is clear, they reference each other. One of the two needs to be a stand alone set of mechanics.
[*]Death and dying are not on P.32 they are on P. 33. The conditions are on P.32
[*]Dying is listed as distracted whose title is repeated on P.33
[/list type=decimal]

Harradrush

Shattered Core Backer
p. 94 Mind Erosion: no strain cost for Psychotic

p. 95 Fear the Unknown: Additional Targets description is "Move another object" (same as Telekinesis)

p. 97 Allied Intervention: description mentions "Focused Talent", but there is no such talent.

Innocuous: 2nd and 3rd ranks have same description

p. 99 Distortion rank 1: "For each additional rank in Distortion you add 1 yard to slow fallТs damage reduction, for a total of 7 yards" shouldn't it be 8 for 4 ranks above first?
Distortion rank 2: "You can increase your jump distance by half for each rank of Distortion taken after rank 2" Does it mean you don't gain any benefits for rank 2 itself (except rank 1 bonuses)? Or there should be some basic effect prior to bonus?

p. 100 Tactical Terrain and Nimble Fingers talents have same description

Smooth Criminal and Skeleton Key have same description

p. 101 Two talents named Hawkeye. Second one looks like improved Surprise Damage, maybe it's better to make one talent with two ranks?

p. 102, p. 45 Low Light Vision: general talent has the same effect as humans racial talent, but cost more xp.

NKdotzip

The Occasional Wizard
Staff member
INDE Staff
KarasuGamma said
Is there any quick list of what changes have been made, now that the update is out?
I'll get a change log together, but most of what has been mentioned here is included in the update.

NKdotzip

The Occasional Wizard
Staff member
INDE Staff
@baconavenger We have caught a few of those already, but we'll discuss the others and determine how to make them read better, make more sense, etc. Though one I can tell you about now is number 8.

114 and P.129 prosthetics sections are repeated
We repeated the rules in both sections so you didn't need to flip pages in either direction. Now if that's a good idea or not, is up for debate, but that was our first inclination.

-zip

karalis

Shattered Core Backer
I'm not intimately familiar with the original playtest, but did the whip and the scythe have the Trip keyword? It's only mentioned on the Trip combat attack action, and I've yet to find it anywhere on any weapon or crafting rule.а

NKdotzip

The Occasional Wizard
Staff member
INDE Staff
Karalis said
I'm not intimately familiar with the original playtest, but did the whip and the scythe have the Trip keyword? It's only mentioned on the Trip combat attack action, and I've yet to find it anywhere on any weapon or crafting rule.а
Good catch. I'll talk to the team and we'll get that fixed.

mythicaffinity

Shattered Core Backer
Question on the Character Sheet, and I apologize if I missed this already, but there is no location for Damage Reduction anymore. аWas it removed from the System? аI just started my 3rd weekly Shattered group at my store, and started using the new forms.

NKdotzip

The Occasional Wizard
Staff member
INDE Staff
mythicaffinity said
Question on the Character Sheet, and I apologize if I missed this already, but there is no location for Damage Reduction anymore. аWas it removed from the System? аI just started my 3rd weekly Shattered group at my store, and started using the new forms.
I'll tweak it on the character sheet so its clearer, but you'll want to use the Armor Value box. DR = Armor now and Toughness is no longer involved.

Harradrush

Shattered Core Backer
p. 14 Wretched's Adapted again: isn't immunity to Ultraviolet Lighting a bit too much? Like, every strike can kill anyone on direct hit, and these guys walking around during storm like nothing happens... Ultimate badass.

p. 28 Hand to Hand attack rating and damage are the same as for Melee attack

p. 68-69 Resisting and Reacting section is repeated twice

p. 108 Spear has Deadfall attribute, which is incompatible with Thrown

p. 109 Flintlock Pistol: description says it takes several minutes to reload (actually it can be done much faster, but still takes some time), but their Reload is only 2 actions as for most other weapons. Same issue with Musket.

p. 110 Nest of Bees: Reload is 2, while description says it's impossible to reload them during combat

p. 111, p. 120 Weapon Attributes are duplicated, except for Scatter (used in shotguns) and Deadfall (halberd and spear). Quite confusing.

p. 120 Burst has same description as Accurate

p. 121 Inaccurate has cost and UC as if someone may want to add this attribute, but it doesn't provide any bonuses.

p. 125 Providing Cover: "may be added multiple times", but there is no reasons for it. Should be some restrictions on how often it can be used or something?

p. 126 Elemental Reduction has same description as Coagulative

About weapons in general:
Great Weapon vs War Axe. Two-handed sword is easier to use for blocking than axe, since the latter usually heavier and their center of gravity is shifted to the end of weapon. So I think it's War Axe should be unwieldy (thus dealing more damage).
Flintlock firearms vs Bow. The reason bows were replaced by firearms is the latter require less training for accurate shooting than the former. That is what accurate/balanced attributes provide. Currently it's quite the opposite.

Arkanic Radiation is mentioned in several places but there is no description for it

Dying condition is used in several places but it was removed(?) from Conditions section

Need table for size categories with description and/or examples.

koeran

Shattered Core Backer
P26. аActions in Combat and Action Points (AP)

The first two sentences are:

"During combat, players have a set amount of Action Points they can use in a number of ways. Everyone starts with 5 Action Points (or AP) and can earn additional AP temporarily from certain abilities."

I presume it's supposed to read:

"During combat, players have a set amount of Action Points they can use in a number of ways. Everyone starts with 5 Action Points (or AP) per round and can earn additional AP temporarily from certain abilities."

Or am I missing something?

NKdotzip

The Occasional Wizard
Staff member
INDE Staff
Good catch! You are indeed correct. I'll make sure that clarification is included in the next update.

а

-zip

I have a question and I noticed a spelling error. I'm not sure if they have been noted already.а

Pg. 47 - Explosive Discharge Ц Is the ruptured tumor completely lost or does it grow back and continue to effect the host?

Pg. 95 - Nightmare Ц It says УAread EffectФ instead of Area

Status
Not open for further replies.