Download the Shattered Playtest HERE!

fnar777

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
Also, regarding illusion, what would you guys say would be good rules for a mirror image type thing to confuse the enemy? I suppose it could be a scrutiny check, but do you guys have any idea how I could scale up the difficulty?

Lithairian

Idea Man
Staff member
INDE Staff
fnar777 said
Also, regarding illusion, what would you guys say would be good rules for a mirror image type thing to confuse the enemy? I suppose it could be a scrutiny check, but do you guys have any idea how I could scale up the difficulty?
Fnar777,
аI'm only guessing but are you usingаType: Obfuscationаto make the mirror image cause confuse? If so, the best way to scale up the difficulty would be to have a great roll when making the 'mirror image'.

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
Hey folks, we're hard at work to do some more balancing. Konrad and I are about half way through the Miracles, Zip and a few others are working on Racial Traits (and Talents [yall don't have this yet]) rework. I wanted to touch base on something. Weаhad a very long call on Saturday about system balance. We noticed that at higher XP, you were essentially penalized for not focusing on one aspect of the game (one of the archetypes). We have found a way to bridge the gap and hopefully add a bit more customization and interestingаattacks into the game. In addition, this should make those folks who love more story or roleplay heavy settings happier and able to better describe epic attacks. We'll keep you posted! Also, we are still going through our list of playtester feedback so don't be discouraged that your suggestions may not be addressed yet. Also, we encourage you to play with the new rule set updated last week! Enjoy!

Konrad

Wordsmith
Staff member
INDE Staff
Shattered GM
I have noticed that the current upload, for some reason, does not have the "Type:" prefix for Projections in Illusions, and that for some reason one of the types was removed altogether (Obfuscate). That will be rectified next update.

NKdotzip

The Occasional Wizard
Staff member
INDE Staff
Hey everyone! We just added the updated playtest! Let us know what you think, and as always have fun!

-zip

2percentright

Shattered Core Backer
So, I'm a bit late to the party, and just started reading the playtest info, but there's this line on page 25 that makes my brow furrow a bit.а

а

"The victim of the Vampire gains 1 fatigue point and +1 to Acrobatics, Athletics, and Survival per mouthful of blood drunk by the Vampire for 1 hour."а

а

So, when the vampire feeds on someone, that individual get's a bit sleepy but also, for some reason, can do better kickflips and knap stone flint?

bear

Grunt
Shattered Core Backer
I also feel a little on the fence about this. In my view, this worlds vampires are monsters. They feed like monsters. It should provide a weakness when feeding. Making this a MINUS 1 trait would be more in line with blood loss, not a plus one. A whole system of politics, commerce and fluff can be built around vampires not being able to feed and pass on a pleasurable experience.

Bear in mind this only really affects players. There should be a cost to letting one of your starving vampire buddies feed off of you. They will need to owe you for it, not use it as a kind of buff costing 1 fatigue for an hour.

Think of what could potentially come from a place where vampires are in polite society, but still need to feed. A type of service can be made Ц like indentured servitude Ц for criminals of minor crimes, or perhaps those who need to pay off debts, where they put themselves as donors to Vampire nobles or businessmen in exchange for some service, be it financial or civil.

In return, the vampire can only feed in places not easily visible. Imagine the character story that could come up! Your spod was formerly in debt and got out of it by being a blood donor. He later gets caught by Wretched Slavers and has to hide the bite scars on his body, like a politician hiding trackmarks.

A lot can come from vying away from the norm, and I think stuff like this, as little as it may be, could be the defining features on what makes ShatteredЕ well, Shattered.

The Vampire bit may need to be branched into a separate thread at some point, but until then...

As Bear mentions, there is some serious risk of the players using this as a kind of buff.... Think of a Vampire and an Alypse working together: the vampire drains the Alypse, giving him a bunch of fatigue, which translates to insanity, which the Alypse just transfers to an enemy during combat. аAn enemy gains insanity, and the Alypse gains all of the physical skill bonuses.

Instead, I would suggest having the Vampire's bite provide a temporary penalty to Toughness (possibly even effecting hit points). аI'm unsure what thematic bonus you were intending with the skill increase, but I would instead suggest a modifierаto Mental Resolve as a way to reflect a state of euphoria. аOr given the role of fear in the game, perhaps having more than X Toughness drunk from you adds Insanity.

What if there is an additional social stigma to Vampires because of these mental affects of their feeding. аPeople resist being fed on because even if you live, you tend to go crazy. аOr that feeding off someone allows them to be easily manipulated (which builds on the glamour abilities of vampires in pulp fiction).

Konrad

Wordsmith
Staff member
INDE Staff
Shattered GM
Laughing Goblin said
As Bear mentions, there is some serious risk of the players using this as a kind of buff....
Eww, buffs. Thanks for the suggestions you guys. We're going to reevaluate this soon.

Excuse me. Can you explain how damage reduction rule works? Maybe you can write an example of full combat? For me it is difficult to understand what should player do then his character takes damage.
And one more question. It is about Initiative. Maybe initiative rude does not work correct. I can try to explain. For example: 3 characters fight against 6 NPC. So playersТ warband should calculate the sum of their Perception rolls as NPCsТ warband should do the same. But there are too many NPC and they always have got the biggest result. So the NPC will always go first. Maybe leader of playersТ warband and leader of NPCsТ warband should roll dices to determine the initiative. M?
P.S. Sorry for my bad English.

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
We reverted DR to a previous iteration.аIt was far too confusing in the current state. I'll see if I can get someone to edit the first post with the previous DR rules that make more sense.

а

As for initiative, that is intentional. However, the larger party won't always go first. We also don't recommend just throwing Grunts at players willy nilly. Sure the grunts will have the higher initiative, but they're weak. Instead I would suggest a hardened and 2 grunts against 3 players. Or 2 Hardened and 3 Grunts against 4 or 5 players.

NKdotzip

The Occasional Wizard
Staff member
INDE Staff
Miridan,

Thanks for asking! I'll go ahead and add it into the OP for the future, but here are the current rules for damage reduction. Please feel free to disregard what's in the playtest.

а

Damage Reduction

When you take damage from an attack, trap or mistake of your own doing, you can in most circumstances negate some or all of the damage received with your armor. Your Armor value can be further modified if you have a shield and you choose to block the attack. Please keep in mind that there exist some forms of damage which may bypass your Armor.

а

-zip

Harradrush

Shattered Core Backer
Want to ask a few silly questions.

Is it intentional that playtest is accessible to everyone, even not bakers?

Do bakers have access to more recent version of game rules?

If I buy Digital Playtest on Backerkit, can I later upgrade to Digital Core (i.e. pay only 25$ difference)?

NKdotzip

The Occasional Wizard
Staff member
INDE Staff
No such thing as a silly question!

What do you have against the makers of cookies and delicious treats? We love bakers! :pа

All joking aside, we chose to release this limited playtest to everyone so we could get as much feedback as possible from both backers and non-backers alike. We will however be releasing our official playtest soon to backers only (at first), which will include just about every talent and system that we have to offer. This official playtest will eventually be available to everyone, but backers get it first.

I'll send you a PM about your backerkit question. :)

-zip

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
If you mean the playtest's release, we're hoping soon. I don't want to comment much more than that about the playtest, but I assure you that we're working on editing and layout. The playtest will not look like someone spat something into a Word Document and converted it to PDF. It will be much nicer looking than the Alpha playtest given ou there.

а

If you mean the book, that's next Summer

Yea, thank you. I and my party are waiting for playtest. The world of Shuttered is very interesting place to go. You are doing greate work.

Top Bottom