Confusion About 'Kinesis'

miralexan

Shattered Core Backer
Let me beginаby saying that I may well be overthinking this.

I'm a bit confused about the choice of 'Kinesis' in the latest playtest as the name of the Psykic Talent/Rules Section. In my head, 'kinesis' has very physical connotations. The word means 'motion' or 'movement', usually in the context of physical objects. Consider: kinetic energy - the energy of a moving object; kinetics - the physics of moving objects; kinesiology - the study of how the human body moves; and the ever familiar telekinesis - the ability to move objects from afar.

As a humble suggestion, maybe this section should mirror the Arkфna section. Change the heading to 'Psykics' and rename the Talent to 'Channeling' (in the same way that one needs the Casting talent to cast a spell). Or if you want to make a separation between a practitioner ('psykic') and the general term for the ability/mutation, you could use a variation on the RPG stapleа'psionics' (psioniks, perhaps?).

NKdotzip

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
Thanks so much for your thoughts. We have had some discussion regarding this very topic a couple of weeks ago and will have a more fitting name included with the next platest update we release.а

Thanks again,а

zip

miralexan

Shattered Core Backer
You're welcome. I know it's nit-picky, but thisаreally jumped out at me.

And to everyone on the team - Keep up the good work! This is really cool stuff and it's exciting to see everything coming together.

NKdotzip

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
It's really not that nit-picky. You're absolutely correct, it was a last minute change I made before pushing the playtest and it doesn't really fit. We used to have the Psy talent and the Psy combat skill before, but I have a tendency to use words in places purely for their sound, completely ignoring their definition.

Thanks again,

Josh

Top Bottom