Basic Mechanics - Unopposed Tests

I´m sure you guys have reflected upon this for a terribly long time, but every time I read this it still boggles me. Either I´m getting this all wrong OR the system for unopposed rolls simply does not take into consideration, at all, the objective rate of the testers making the it directly related to the characters dice... Meaning a higher "rated" character will have the same chance at a High difficulty test as a lower rated character because the number they have to beat it´s directly related to each characters rating... e.g. Character A has Rating 5, 1d10+1d4, and Character B has much weaker, only rating 2, 1d6. Both must need to make a very hard climb test. Since the Difficulty number ain´t absolute and applied to both, quite the contrary (A will have to beat , each will have a separate number directly related to their rank, and with the rising dice structure, it actually means the higher ranking character will have a lower chance to pass,since A nest to eat 14 with a 1d10+1d4, while B needs to beat 6 with 1d6....

Am I seeing this backwards? I sincerely hope I´m missing something....

NKdotzip

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
First off, you're absolutely right, we've agonized over this particular thing for a while, and admittedly our explanation of how to use it has been lacking. It may even be more appropriate in Game Mastery instead of being right in the front of the combat chapter. I'll state this now, we have changed the numbers slightly for this since we released and may make some more adjustments before the final release, but I'll run off of what's in the book.

The general purpose of the unopposed check table is to give GM's a reference tool for such checks and is not intended to be adhered to. Most importantly, a UC is not relative to each player's skill but instead it is a single difficulty applied to the party as a whole. The general idea being that not everyone can be good at everything, and players may have to work together to tackle an obstacle, or perhaps even find a different way around it.

In your example with the Climb check, you have to judge your players collectively and set a difficulty. So let's say Character A is a Thief who is used to scaling buildings Assassin's Creed style, where Character B is a Necromancer who rarely leaves the lab. With that context you can make a judgement call and say the climb check is going to be difficult or impossible for the Necromancer, but just another walk in the park for the Thief. Let's set that UC at 7. The Thief is going to net somewhere around a 7 or 8 on average so she has a good chance of passing, where the Necromancer flat out can't do it without some help, bonuses or otherwise.

Your Thief passes along with one of your other players who made it by the skin of their teeth and throws a rope down for the Necromancer. Now he can either climb the rope for a UC of say, 3; or he can tie the rope around his waist and have the others pull him up.

Hope that helps!
-Zip

Then you definitely need to re-writte the particular rule, since the it translate into something quite different from what you just explained here, and to which I agree.
In the test document it specifically states that "The Rating ranges from 1 to 20, and is based on the dice that players use. The table below provides examples of low, average, and high difficulty UCs based on the character’s appropriate dice.". Even the structure of the of the table gives that impression. A simple table with growing difficulty UC´s and their description and examples would be simpler and clearer, otherwise it will always give off the impression that the UC difficulty is directly based on the tester rank.

Thx for the answer Zip.

toxic4mosh

Shattered Core Backer
I agree with Thorgarth here... so as a GM i have been kinda doing both going off the player rating and setting a target number for the UC.
It feels better with a target number as a GM. It looked like there was no point in skilling high in skills that were used for the player rating as i was better taking my chances hitting "high difficulty" with lower dice. I think all skills OC or UC need to have relevance for leveling so having a target number for a UC seems the best. obviously im not gonna ask my 150 exp party to scale a sheer cliff.. that to me would have a UC at like 20+

Top Bottom