A school project

genoby

Shattered Core Backer
As you all would know, a game like shattered would require a healthy amount of creativity.

what I want to know is that there a thing as too creative and would it hurt the game?

second, is a creative mind a must have or can a linear mind enjoy the game just as much

а

your thoughts would be very appreciated for my project

Thanks

NKdotzip

Administrator
Staff member
INDE Staff
Hey, thanks for asking! The other devs can feel free to offer their thoughts as well, but I think that there is a balance between creativity and practicality; at least in terms of game mechanics.

We had this crazy idea once where we thought we could eliminate all combat skills, non-combat skills and talents and create this really unique system that allowed you, the player, to build your own skills and talents. This sounds awesome on paper, but when you're actually trying to build a controlled system that lets you create anything, you run into a lot of complicated mechanics. We ended up scrapping the project because it was becoming too complex.

As for your second question, I think that tabletop RPG's are awesome because both super-creative types and more straight forward types can find ways to have fun. I've played in some games where it was all about getting from point A to point B with lots of combat in between; it was a number crunching kind of group that just wanted to kill things and see how their combinations of abilities improved their damage potential. On the other hand, I've played games that had very little die rolling and number crunching to speak of; where most of our conflicts were resolved through Role Play.

-zip

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
I agree with Zip. There's a time to be creative and a time to be practical. We've had some wonderful and terrible ideas over the years. More often than not, the idea was perfect until we wrote the system for it. Then, someone finds a major loophole in the system and you are forced to patch it or throw it out the window.

Beekay

Shattered Core Backer
Firstly, I'm just a fellow gamer like you Genoby, so please take what I say with a grain of salt.

а

In my opinion, balance is the key.

а

If you have a GM or player who is too creative, I find that the desire to expand on ideas becomes their focus. If it is the GM who is doing this perhaps the game suffers as they burn out quickly, or maybe the sessions are too far apart as the GM builds more of their world/story for you. I have had this experience directly, as my most favourite GM as I was growing up had so many projects ongoing to enrich their own world that they forgot they had players who just wanted to roll dice and have fun. It was most unfortunate that this GM burnt themselves out and to this day doesn't play RPGs anymore.

а

A player who is too creative can take the spotlight more often than is fair, making other players feel inadequate or not connected as much to the story being told.

а

I believe this balance is as important for an analytical/linear mind to a creative/artistic one. Think about reading a book. Some people like to analyse each chapter and reflect on the content, while others will read from cover to cover, and make an assessment on the story at the end. Each one is different, but neither is wrong.

а

Ultimately, in my opinion, RPGs and storytelling in this fashion is a collaborative effort. If everyone contributes their strengths, you can tell some of the most amazing stories that you will continue to reminisce about for decades and more.

Top Bottom