A question about monsters

fenrirwolflord

Shattered Core Backer
This is the first thread i have created here though i do have one or two comments threw out the forum and have been on twitch streams. I do hope you all do not mind as well as please forgive me for my horrible grammar and spelling due to dyslexia That said onto the questions.

So i am just getting ready for a trip up to new England where i was raised most my life and where many friends are for me. I have told them about Shattered a good few times and how much i rather like the system. We have gamed in D&D 3.5/Pathfinder/World of darkness as well as maybe one or two other systems. I have been both a player and a DM (to varies degrees of success and fail). SO i figured i would show them just how awesome and how much potential the system has. I have run into one small problem though.

Well i want to run a solid roleplay game i also want them to enjoy a good bit of combat as that can be fun and in most adventure's something that will come up. So i was planning to use a few of the monster's in the playtest as well as create a few for my self such as bandit's/some weird freaky things that pop from my head and likely some normal wild animals that could perhaps be a threat sense you never know what your players will do foolishly.

My problem is creating new one's as i have no real guide line to follow though i did some simple testing and found that most grunts stat wise have 41 xp in cost instead of the 55 of players which make sense. 12 for combat skill's which again makes a bit of sense given i am using a grunt as an example and likely the only thing they will run into for some time or unless they go for the "boss" right away which will be hardened i think. The thing is it gives me no idea for non-combat skill's as i like the players to possible have the chance to talk to npc which i will stress i rather roleplay there is some non-combat skills i think some npcs/monsters should have.а

sorry for the long going on's about thing's simply i was wondering what kinda Xp should i use for grunts/hardened/lords? I was also wondering when the full book releases will monsters have access to some special monster/npc only traits an example is chaos eaters Volley.а

Thanks again for anyone who answer's this.а

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
We have a monsterаcreation system called the Mastermind System. The GM creates a character that can become the end boss if the GM so wishes.аAll the monsters are based off of the GM's XP which scales with the player. The Mastermind (MM) also gains bonus XP per session in order to keep the players challenged. Each level of monster (Grunt, Hardened, Lord, and Remnant) possess a certain percentage of the MM's total stat pool, skill point pool, health, etc. I'll talk with the other devs tonight if we wish to give out more information on this system right now. Also, a lot of the pre-genned monsters in the Alpha Playtest were designed for session 2 play which is why they may seem a slight be tough.

fenrirwolflord

Shattered Core Backer
I see thank you very much Tex for answering so quickly. I will keep that in mind and i can wait for this mastermind system to be released it sound's rather interesting. session 2 huh hmmm i will need to keep that in mind. One other question when the players get 60 XP i assume that is divided so if there is 6 players then it is 10 xp per? as that is how most other systems do it or is it purely 60 for each?а

Tex

Lore Master
Staff member
INDE Staff
It is 60XP each. We were busy with some stuff on Monday, but I'll bring monster creation up tonight.

а

EDIT: We have decided to not release the MM system until the official playtest is released in August. I can't comment if it will be included in the alpha playtest (which will be updated with changes periodically even after the official playtest release).

Top Bottom